I've been thinking a lot lately about music, or lack thereof, currently in my life. When I played with Stiletto, my life was constantly surrounded by music. Driving from city to city we would listen to music in van; if I didn't like what was being played in the van, I would pop in my head phones to my I-pod and listen to whatever I wanted to. As soon as we arrived to the venue, there was sure to be music blasting through the sound system. From the moment the show started until the last note was played, there was guaranteed to be music playing (and not always good music, I might add). After the show, we'd load our trailer, most of the time with the I-pod playing, and then drive to someone's house to sleep. Almost every house we stayed at had a host who was dying to share with us which band they thought "were the next big thing!" The next morning the cycle repeated.
Once I quit the band, I pretty much stopped listening to music. Currently, I only listen to Led Zep and Johnny Cash. That's it. (Oh, and I've listened to the new Dixie Chicks record with my wife, and seriously, it is so good. Rick Rubin produced it and he has an amazing ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with.) It was refreshing at first, to not have to listen to so much music; but lately I've been pretty bummed at the absence of what used to be such a huge part of my life.
So... I'm taking suggestions of music you think I should check out. Leave your responses as a comment or, better yet, burn me a CD and give it to me. Thanks.
Novel 4!
-
Desert Divide is live and out in the world! What a great week it has been.
The book was published Monday. Since, I’ve confirmed one book signing in
August,...
4 years ago


2 comments:
You should listen to Tom Petty, specifically the "Wildflowers" album.
It will blow your mind sonically and it was also produced by Rubin. Much Love- see you tonight.
Tom Petty, that's original. Thanks Ron.
Dude, i'm sad to hear about your void of music. Sometimes it is good to take a break however. I can't guarantee that you'll like these, because i'm not really sure what you're into these days but here is what i'm listening to these day. Imogen Heap, Doves, the new Red Hot Chili Peppers (i know they're huge but the CD is so underrated as long as you skip track one.), Matt Costa, Arctic Monkeys and Coheed, the acoustic LP they did in UK, so good. And speaking of music, i just started a new music blog www.kathleenturneroverdrive.blogspot.com, and i'd love some link/comment love. Additionally, if you want to write for it, i thought we could have a fun little co-op blog for all of us music loving friends. Let me know.
Post a Comment