Saturday, February 06, 2010

WARNING: Controversial Post Coming...

Let me start by saying that I'm positive I have readers of this blog who disagree with me on this issue. I welcome the disagreement and would love to be in discussion (either through this blog or otherwise) on my beliefs on this topic. Please be aware that my thoughts on this issue are rooted in a love for Christ, love for others, and my continual quest to know God on a deeper level. I will not publish hateful, ignorant, or judgmental comments.




I just finished reading a fantastic book called "What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" by Daniel A. Helminiak. It features a chapter by chapter break down on the texts of the Bible commonly used to claim that homosexuality is a sin. The book features in depth word and translations studies to help back up its point. Its well thought out and well written. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested on the subject, regardless of your currently held beliefs.

Like slavery, woman's suffrage, and segregation in the past, many people try to use the Bible to back up their errant claims. With this issue, I'm happy to know that I'm on the side of loving inclusion and tolerance.

3 comments:

brittany said...

:)

bpddjeoomon said...

Agreed. The entire time I worked at the Jesus Chapel I was usually wondering if half the people shopping there have ever actually READ the bible.


Off topic: Did I ever show you these?

http://www.spoonsisters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=42860&Category_Code=1023000&Product_Count=52

I saw them last year and thought they were so funny. Anyway, they reminded me of you; the little drummer boy grows up and starts cooking. Haha

BJ said...

this is an important topic, but i've kinda lost my patience with it. i don't particularly enjoy engaging with those whose exegetical process is laughable. I know that is lazy of me, but i get bored discussing something that as a culture we should already be passed.

My biggest struggle has been how to support my homosexual friends that believe they are wrong. I don't want to add to their confusion, but I want them to be who they are.

I guess the nice thing is that, just as our thoughts on women's rights, racism and others that we are progressing as a society. slowly but surely