Tuesday, May 29, 2007

God Bless You Mitch

If you haven't heard Mitch Hedberg... stop reading this right now and go watch his stuff on You Tube. He is so funny and seemed like such a good guy. He died in 2005, from an apparent drug overdose. Such a shame.

I read this really funny story about him that I will post below. I think what I love about him the most is his simplicity and observations. I could see me and Nate and the guys in place of this story. So funny.


Mitch and a couple fellow comedians where on the road. This story is told by on of the fellow comedians on the tour.

One time we were checking into a hotel - I can’t remember where. Anyway, for some reason we didn'’t have a credit card - just an ATM card and some cold hard cash..
So we ask the front desk if we could get a room - it wasn’t anything special. A Sheraton perhaps. Under $100 a night.

We only wanted to stay one night. We told the girl at the front desk that we could put down a bunch of cash for the room - we offered to give them like, $500 cash deposit for the room, and we get the balance back the next day. It was late at night. We had money from a gig or selling CDS after the show or something.

‘We don’t take cash. Only credit cards’, she says.

“How about $700 for the night?”

“We don’t take cash. Credit card only”

Mitch: “Do you know what a credit card represents? Money. Money is the real version of a credit card. Paying by credit card is a long version of money”

Her: “We don’t take cash. Only credit cards”

I could see Mitch getting frustrated.

“We’ll give you all the cash we have as a deposit for the room, ma’am”

“We don’t take…..”

Then Mitch goes:

“So your saying you don’t want the real thing? Like if it was your birthday, and someone sent you a singing telegram - a Frank Sinatra Impersonator to sing you ‘Happy Birthday. You would get mad if the real Frank Sinatra showed up? You’d refuse to listen to the real Frank Sinatra?”

1 comment:

Adam W said...

My favorite of all time: "If carrots could get you drunk, rabbits would be fucked up!"