
I have been riding my bike so much lately. Since getting my bike a month ago, I have only driven my car twice, and both times were to take my bike in to get my flat tier fixed. Ben’s post about running resonated with me; this has been such a fun experience. My goal is to not drive my car alone again until the next snow (you guys know me, if I’m doing it, I’m doing it!). When riding my bike to and from work, I like to listen to my iPod, so I thought I’d make it a weekly post on what I’m listening to.
So with out further ado, here is my first Wednesday Morning Bike Riding Tunes:
This morning I listened to Neil Young’s “Greatest Hits” album. Being as it only takes 15 minutes or so to ride to work, I only get to listen to 3-5 songs, depending on the length of each song. This morning’s tunes were “Southern Man,” “Needle and the Damage Done,” “Old Man,” and “Heart of Gold.”
Neil Young is a god. His music is so moving and powerful. These are four of my favorite tracks of his, because of the moving lyrics and hooks. “Southern Man’s” use of a repetitive piano chord progressions and double and half time beats are the highlight of the tune. “The Needle…” has some moving lyrics. I love the line “a little part of it in everyone.” It is scary, but so true. Potentially everyone is just one wrong step away from being a junkie. “Old Man” features some wicked hooks that have you singing along in moments. I love the feeling and mood created in the song, a feeling of nostalgia and longing. “Heart of Gold” is one of the first Young songs that I heard and help me fall in love with his music. Young again creates a mood of longing and searching. I relate to the feeling of not being satisfied by what you thought would make you happy, as evident in the line “I've been to Hollywood/I've been to Redwood/I crossed the ocean/for a heart of gold.” I can share in the idea of longing for something or somewhere and finally getting there only to find out it isn’t what you expected or hoped for.
It was a great ride this morning, the wind in my face, sun rising in the east, and Neil Young singing in my ears!


1 comment:
Good for people to know.
Post a Comment