Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wednesday Morning Bike Riding Tunes


Today's ride was cold... just over 36 degrees.

Good tunes today, Foo Fighters first four songs off of "The Colour and Shape."

I will start this by saying that I love bands that are fronted by drummers (I can't really think of any others right now except for Genesis, which really doesn't prove my point, but I digress.) I love the fact that most of the songs are written with the drums in mind. I'm sure that is how Dave Grohl writes his songs, and I'm OK with that.

"Doll"- What a great opening song. The vocals are smooth and lyrics are good.

"Monkey Wrench"- This is the perfect antithesis to the first track. Its fast, loud, and pounding. I love the first cut out where it is silent for about 7 or 8 seconds. The anticipation it creates has a great impact on the listener. The song sets up the bridge so well and Dave's screaming vocals starting with "One last thing before I quit..." are so controlled and powerful. A great example not overdoing something.

"Hey, Johnny Park"- This song opens with a huge drum fill. You can practically hear Bonzo playing the opening lick. The fade down from the intro to the verse is well timed. I love that half way through each verse Taylor Hawkins plays a heavy snare fill to offset the quiet rim shots he plays through the verse. The best part of this song is by far the extended drum fill leading to the chorus. They added a ton of reverb on to it making it sound so huge and futuristic. It sets up one of the coolest bridge sections.

"My Poor Brain"- It is obvious the drumming influence on the song writing here as the snare flams accent the vocal line in the chorus. The bass line also accents the vocals in a creative way as Dave screams "Sometimes I feel like I'm getting stuck."

I might get slaughtered for saying this... but I like the Foos much, much more than Nirvana. Yeah, yeah, I know that Curt and company changed music forever, blah, blah blah. I just would rather listen to the Foos any day over Nirvana. Your thoughts?

No comments: