Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Kevin flash drived over a ton of music for me recently and let me just say there is some damn good stuff. I thought I’d share with you guys what new (to me at least) music that has been stirring my soul.

Imogen Heap “Speak for Yourself”- First off, I didn’t even know that Frou Frou was no longer together. I am so out of it. Kevin showed me this amazing video and I was hooked immediately. The album is really good, but Kevo got it off some Russian website and the last thirty seconds of every song is cut off: ANNOYING! One thing I love about Imogen is her ability to use technology (something that has all but ruined music [see auto tuning, splice editing, etc]) and made something so beautiful and moving. It is so amazing!

Calexico (with Iron and Wine) “In the Reins”- This is a band that I have heard of and never actually checked out. I knew that I would love them, but for some reason or other I never got the chance to listen to them. I love their subtleties and moods in the songs.

Cold War Kids “Robbers and Cowards”- This is the type of band that I love. They are so creative and original without being over the top, contrived, or spastic noise rock. The lyrics and vocals in general are gritty yet beautiful. Worth checking out.

Jeff Buckley "Grace"- So I know what you guys are thinking... Jeff Buckley is new to you?!? I have heard him before, but (again, for whatever reason) never had any of his albums. Man was I missing out. Such a great record.

Dustin Kensrue "Please Come Home"- Adam had suggested that I check this record out from Thrice's front man do to my love for Johnny Cash and Dustin's undeniable influence from the Man in Black. I am really mad at myself for not getting this record sooner. It is really good. Lyrically, I have always loved Dustin's stuff with Thrice and I think he even has more opportunity to be straight forth on his solo record (see "Consider the Ravens") which I really love. "I Knew You Before" sounds like he was writing the song to Brittany, Paris, or Christina.** Powerful and beautiful.

More to come as I keep diving into my "new music." Some bands that I got that I still have to check out: (I'll take suggestions on which I should listen to first) Air, American Football, Amos Lee, Arctic Monkeys, Band of Horses, Belle and Sebastian, Cool Hand Luke, David Grey, Decemberists, M. Ward, Mason Jennings, Massive Attack, Micheal Franti, and My Morning Jacket. This list abruptly stops in the "m"s because that's all we had time for.


*** "You dream of baring your soul/ Instead you bare more skin
And you wear dark glasses to keep/ Anyone from looking in

The magazines and media supplied you with their plastic protocol
Oh, and maybe music television really is the devil after all
But all I can say is I knew you before
You were beautiful back then
Before you grew up, before you gave in"

3 comments:

Adam W said...

I had never seen the imogen video before and now i've never had a bigger crush on a female musician before...She is beautiful (like 6'9'') and a genius.
Glad you're checking out new stuff. I'm going to send you some soon as well.
Email me your address when you get a chance.

Adam W said...

Oh, and also, way to use "flash drive" as a verb.

bpddjeoomon said...

Have you ever heard of Sigur Rós? They're from Iceland (If I remember correctly) and their music isn't in English, but there's something about it. Their songs (especially on their CD "Untitled") do something to me that I've never been able to explain.

A few songs here.