Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chris Cornell: RIP

No, he's not really dead. And maybe the title for this blog is a little distasteful. But, I still want to remember Chris Cornell this way:

Eddie Vader hanging on Chris Cornell at a performance in 1991

I can still remember listening to Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside in the early to mid 90s. I was a young and impressionable kid, and these guys had a huge impact on me. Their music was so dark and heavy, unique and artful; they were a truly remarkable band.



Now Cornell has team up with producer Timberland, who a friend [who shall remain nameless] always talks about being a great producer. While I can't speak for Timberland's other records, I can tell you that he missed it with this one. This music is so bad that at first I honestly thought it was a Alanis-style parody. Not so much. Apparently Cornell thinks this is actually good music. I kinda wish he'd just come out and say it: "The music I created before was art; this record is my desperate attempt to stay relevant."

3 comments:

brittany said...

first, you know i listen to legit music and mostly know what i am talking about... with that being said. my friend and i were discussing favorite producers the other day. my friend, is a musician and listens to music that makes that very clear... so when he said timbaland as his third favorite, i freaked out a little, then the following list poured out of him: aaliah, jay z, missy elliot, justin, nelly furtado... these albums were all prime for there time. the record he did was also prime.

i can get behind chris cornell putting out a super douche record, but i'm sure timbaland did the best he could with the douchey songs he was given...

Lewis Cash said...

Brittany, you're probably right about Timberland; I just love giving Ron a hard time about his man love for hip-hop. Of course there are going to be times where great producers miss the mark for a slew of possible reasons (bad songs being at the top of that list). And I'm sure that's the case here. I don't really like any hip-hop, so my knowledge of Timberland is pretty miniscule. I wont judge him on this one record, but I will stand by the fact that he and Cornell missed the mark big time here.

By the way, I'd love to hear your list of favorite producers!

Ron Werner Jr said...

Nole....Timberland is a shoe...Timbaland is a producer...get it right next time.

Hahahaha