Monday, April 09, 2007

Green Living

The wife and I are trying our very best to reduce our CO2 output. I am convinced that if all of the 298,444,215 people living in America made small changes that we’d see a drastic decrease in our CO2 footprint.

I realize that none of you who read this would disagree with me on this subject, so rather than needing to convince you to make an effort, I thought we could share with each other the simple efforts we are making. Here is the list of things we are doing to help reduce our environmental footprint. Please share you ideas in the comments.

-We have purchased renewable energy in blocks from our local energy provider, Pacific Source. I’m not sure if they have this in other areas, but in Bend you can choose to pay just a little bit extra (as little as $1.95 a month) to support renewable energy sources.

-Saving plastic bags to reuse at the grocery store.

-Opening our blinds and turning off the lights.

-Switching all our lights to energy efficient bulbs.

-Turning off or down the heater and using natural heating (wood stove) as a heat source.

-Eating a vegetarian diet.

-Trying to buy foods that are local and less processed.

-Riding our bikes or walking to destinations.

-Double-checking the air in our tires to get more efficient gas mileage.

What do you do that isn’t on my list?

4 comments:

Adam W said...

Is burning wood from a stove really an efficient way to create less CO2??? I'm no expert on the subject but isn't cutting down trees and burning them just as bad as using natural gas, coal or electricity? (I really don't know, i'm asking.)

On a completely unrelated note, i had coffee with Kathryn Courtney this morning. She's moving back to Phoenix (well, Anthem) and starting her own business so we're helping each other out a little. We were laughing about how everyone is married. Kathryn, Elaine and Jodi as well. Crazy. I am the last bachelor.

Anonymous said...

Its funny you wrote this post, I was planning on writintg a post on the changes I have made to my lifestyle in the last year to make it more sustainable. No sense in me writing a seperate post, we should conserve our webspace, but I will overlap.

We have been slowly changing out our lightbulbs, damn efficient ones are expensive.

Using grey water to flush one of our toilettes

Planting a garden in the back yard

Turning up the AC 2 degrees and using it less

Buying more organic foods and clothes (when I can)

Just purchased a veggie kit, but the conversion has not happened yet

Accomlishing more on "trips into town"

Using a clothes line to dry some of our clothes, when using the dryer making sure the lint screen is clean.

Love you bro, I hope a bunch of people leave comments so we can think of other things to do.

Lewis Cash said...

Adam, thanks so much for your comment and question, your right it doesn't immediately make sense. But, surprisingly, burning with a wood stove can actually be more efficent if you buy the correct type of stove and use the correct type of wood.


See: http://www.slate.com/id/2151795/

There are sited links that back up their claim.

Anonymous said...

Things I am doing to conserve energy...

My rental car is an SUV.

I drive to work by myself.

Fly often- and go for the cheapest flights, which usually means more stops and more fuel.

I bag on Bush's energy plan- switchgrass? really? wtf?

I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" twice in theatres

Give Nole a hard time about being a vege head.

Take long showers.

And...am going to watch Live Earth in July.

------------I have found that sarcasm amidst global crisis helps. Love you guys (even though Nole used to throw full bags of McDonalds Trash out the window of a moving vehicle- Nole you owe it to the earth to be veggie because of that)!

haha...sometimes I amuse myself.