Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Inspiring Night



Carrie and I were lucky enough be apart of an awesome event that Rise Up Inc. put on last night at McMenanmin's, here in Bend, Oregon. A local coffee shop, who only sells fair trade/organic coffee called Strictly Organic, provided complimentary cups of coffee from the coffee farmers that the movie was about. We had two showings of the movie Black Gold, which is a film about the coffee industry and how coffee farmers in third world countries are being exploited. It was extremely powerful and you owe it to yourself, especially if you are a coffee drinker and/or a social activist (I think that everyone reading this is both!) to find a way to see this film.

The amazing thing about the event was the people who attended it. We first showed a short film on what Rise Up is doing in Nicaragua and had a brief explanation about who and what Rise Up is. Following that, we showed Black Gold. The audience was gripped throughout the movie, and at one point broke out into spontaneous applause during the film, which almost brought tears to my eyes. Following the movie we had an awesome time hanging with some of the people who attended, selling some of Rise Up’s t-shirts, and talking about what people can do to get involved in the movement.

It was an inspiring moment. Here I was, with my wife and some of my best friends, working to expand a cause I greatly believe in. It was so amazing to connect with people who really want to help and see a change in our world. Carrie and I are so blessed to be apart of this movement. I am so excited to see it expand and grow and watch were it leads us. I am excited about current and future involvement of so many different friends in so many different areas.

May we continue to make a change in our world, both locally and globally, both small and great!

No comments: