Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Reason I Don't Listen to Rap Discussed

About After reading Ron’s post about Saul Williams’ letter to Oprah, I got to thinking about rap and hip-hop lyrics.

Everyone reading this knows that I am not a huge rap or hip-hop fan. Not since the 8th grade (when I loved Notorious BIG and Lil’ Mafia) have I listen to it and enjoyed it. One thing that always bothered me is the use of the n-word, bitches, and hoes and the continual reference to violence and gangbanging. The videos feature women in the most degrading fashion, half naked and asses all over the place. It just seemed so blatantly racist, sexist and violent. It surprises me that so many people listen to music with this content, because, in a way, I feel like it aligns you with this crap. I believe that by listening to music with lyrics like this you are in some ways condoning what the artist is saying.

Some, like the icon Russell Simmons, are calling for the complete ban on these types of lyrics.

Although I appreciate that he is addressing the issue, I don’t know if that is the way to go, because it is implying that censorship can fix this issue, which it can’t. Here are some ways that I believe that this can be addressed. First, the consumer should not buy, watch, or listen to products that have this type of lyrics. The artists who are singing about this will get the picture extremely fast if their records sales plummet. Second, we should put pressure on the cooperate world (record companies, MTV, radio stations, etc.) that we will not stand for this type of language and imagery. If Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are going to call for NBC to fire Imus for “nappy headed hoes,” then they should be screaming a the top of their lungs at the likes of 50 Cent (“Cause I'm down to bust a nigga head all the time/Now you know the hoes, they know how I roll”) or Mike Jones (“Hoes peep when I creep up the block… No game needed to pull a slut”). The list could go on forever.

A quick survey of my seventh grade class showed that 80% of the class listens to rap or hip-hop with lyrics they wouldn’t play at school. That means that these 12 and 13 year olds are listening (and subliminally thinking) that these lyrics are cool and socially OK. Do we want out kids thinking that calling women “hoes” and “sluts” and African-Americans “niggas” is OK?

It is simply not OK with me, and its time that we started saying something about it.






***By the way, what does this picture remind you of?

Looks a lot like an angry Cho Seung-Hui just after he killed two people and just before he killed thirty more.







***Update: I just loved the article Adam shared by Jason Whitlock. Please read his article here.

6 comments:

Adam W said...

First off, you're wrongfully accusing hip-hop of the crimes mainstream rap has committed. Second, i don't think any of us (ok, myabe Ron a little bit) are watching 106 & Park on BET and thinking that it's anything other than a parody. Now i understand your point about your students watching this and not knowing any different and subliminally, i do think it affects them.
Mainstream rap is awful. However, i think we should look in the mirror a little bit as white people. How many of the lyrics of your favorite songs, when taken literally, condone something that you would never do or want your children doing? I think you'll be surprised about the answer.
Anyway, I hope you read the Saul article and i hope you will take the time to read some of his poetry and listen to his music. He is the absolute anti-gangsta rapper and takes those people to task in almost every song and poem. He talks about how when you listen to music, you nod your head back and forth in affirmation, in approval of what you're listening to. Sure it's just a reaction to the beat, but you appear that you're agreeing with the lyrics. That's why he stopped listening to music where he couldn't nod with the lyrics.
Also, check out this link. Jason Whitlock is one of my favorite writers and he called out Jesse and Al for exactly what you suggested in your blog.
http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/66339.html

Lewis Cash said...

Adam, thanks as always for your dialog. I didn't mean lump all hip-hop in with what I was talking about. I realize (through other people like Ron, Kevo, and you) that there is hip-hop that doesn't not use the imagery in question. I can honestly say that I have not given it much of a chance because of my disdain for mainstream hip-hop. I am encouraged by people like Saul Williams (I did read the letter on Ron's post, it was moving!), I just really hope that our kids begin to discover that there is other options in hip-hop out there. In a quick survey of my sixth period class, zero had heard of Saul Williams while everyone had heard of (and 80% listen to on a regular basis) 50 Cent and Mike Jones.

I really like what Williams said about nodding you head. He seems smart, articulate, and thought-provoking.

Anonymous said...

One thinkg that has been great about the whole Imus contraversy is thepublic debate that it has spurred about race and language issues. Two weeks ago on Meet the Press (which can be downloaded for free on iTunes) the entire show ended up being a dialogue on these issues. It was great. For a minute itfelt as though we actually have public dialogue about issues that matter. So, I love to see that dialogue continue. I don't own any 50cent, I do own some 2pac for nostalgic reasons. Most of my hip hop is of the socially conscious variety. Maybe part of your role with your own studtents would be to introduce them to artists like Saul, Talib Kweli, the Roots etc.

B.T.W. I love that you poll your students, that is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Nole,

The comparison of the image 50 and the VA tech shooter- is stunning. What a great visual reminder the connectedness of celebrity, violence, and imitation.

Obviously I don't believe that it is 50's fault for the incident, just like I didn;t believe it was Marilyn Manson's fault for Columbine- but, America has some of the highest stats for handgun violence...can that be correlated with America being theh birthplace of hip hop? I don't know- it would be an interesting study.

I too, like Kevo love that you poll your students...I may have you do it some more for research purposes in the future. The stats say that 80 percent of rap albums are bought by white teen ages 13-16. I am reminded of this everytime I hear my 6th graders singing "smack that" or "does your chain hang low."

Let's be honest too, rappers know the stats. Their audience demands lyrics that speak of power (degradation, racism, misogyny, capitalism, bling-all related to power). I think there is demand for this type of music because when we listen to these songs we step outside of our current reality. Adolescence is friggin' tough. Momentary lapses of reality help students navigate through this hard transitional time into adulthood- kind of a long theory, but I think it makes sense.

On an unrelated note- I wonder of Johnny Cash (your namesake Nole) in his heyday, was accused of this very thing we are talking about. Many of his lyrics talk about murder. Looking back, it is mild comapred to some rap of today...but, in its time I am sure after public shootings- The Man in Black may have been looked to as scapegoat. Thoughts?

PS. Adam- I haven't had cable for over a year now, so my days of BET and 106 and Park are long gone...I do still visit MTV.com everyday to read up on music news (more a study on how they present "news") and the occasional new video (to stay up on what the 13-16 year old white girls are buying). haha.

Let's keep the convo going!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what affect music has on our actions. I know that I have listened to rap music since third grade. I can remember going into my room shutting the dooor and putting on my headphones as I would listen to N.W.A. and Digital Underground. To thos day I remembe many of the lyrics to the Humpty Dance and Eazy Does It. Since N.W.A. was the group I listened to most in 3rd grade I can say that I never took the music as seriously as I should have, wait... I was in third grade. Anyway, I listened to Fuck the Police and Boys in Da Hood. I never felt the need to "reach back like a pimp and smack the hoe", nor did I ever call "187 on a mother fuckin cop". I believe these lyrics did contribute to a view of police and women that was less respectful than I should have had. So there was an influence, but it was only to a degree. SInce then I listen to far less rap and most of the rap I listen to has some redeeming qualities to it. I am fortunate in some ways because I don't like dancing so I don't have Ronnie's struggle of needing that music I can move my feet to. In general I prefer to listen to music that speaks to my soul and in oreder for that to happen it has to be socially conscious wether it is Kweli or Cash. As Dead Prez said, "You would rather have a lexus, some justice, a dream or some substance? A beamer, a necklace or freedom?" We have a choice, I want to choose to support music with a message and tell others to do the same. I know that you all agree with this concept so how can we create an environment where more people will vote for a message in music when they purchase music that does not support ignorance.

Adam W said...

It looks like i'm a bit late coming to this party. But i loved using a lazy friday to catch up on this conversation.
I have a few points, some of which i think will be better served as a post on my own blog but here's the sneak preview.
A. Misogynistic and egotistical music stylings can be tracked far past the birth of mainstream hiphop all the way back to tribal chants and dances in Africa. I wrote a paper about it in college. If i can find it, i'll post it. It's been well documented that male dominance and pride were very alive in the music and art of the oldest cultures. It doesn't excuse our behavior today but it's not anything new and we don't evolve that fast, as much as we think we do.
B. I don't think us privileged white boys really have a friggin clue. I love that we're talking about it but i'm not sure how comfortable i feel judging or critizing a lifestyle in which i have no roots or no concept of reality. If life in the projects and ghettos of America is about guns and hos and drugs and getting that paper, then i'd have to think that that egg came before the rap chicken. It may be made up bullshit now, but it wasn't when it was first conceived by NWA, etc.
C. You guys have to read Saul before this conversation can go on. Read all 3 of his books of poems, but definitely "said the shotgun to the head" and "Dead Emcee Scrolls." Also listen to Amethyst Rockstar, Lyricist Lounge, his self-titled album and anything else you can get your hands on. Google "Not in our name" and listen to/read it. Also, go rent Slam and watch it with your wives. It's a love story, they'll like it.
More soon. I'm feeling like writing something big this weekend. Maybe i'll pour myself a nice bump of Crown Royal and meditate on some of these things we've talked about. Keep your eyes open and your heads up.
Adam
p.s. did i mention that i friggin love this blog community?!?