Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Music I'm Digging

You may have heard of all of these bands or none of them, but here's some stuff I've been digging lately:


The Cave Singers- Welcone Joy (Premiere)
Its wild to think that this indie-folk band sprung from the disbanded Pretty Girls Makes Graves because their sound is coming from a totally different direction than PGMG. Either way, its a great sophomore record from a promising NW band.


BLK JKS- After Robots
This south-African band reminds me of a more straight up rocking version of TV on the Radio. Smart, diverse, and soulful rock.


Clues- s/t
This record came out earlier in the year to not very much press (at least that I saw). But this Montreal indie-pop band deserves much more credit. They find a way to mix in some heavy riffs and experimental ideas into what is basically a pop record.


David Bazan- Curse Your Branches
I wrote about this record earlier and its pretty amazing. Lyrically its some of the best stuff being released right now.


Fun.- Aim and Ignite
As of now, this is totally a contender for top record of the year for me. Its well crafted, extremely thoughtful, and unbelievable catchy orchestrated indie-pop. The songs will not leave your brain days after listening. (Features members of The Format and Steel Train.)


The Paper Chase- Some Day This Could All be Yours (Vol.1)
Where did this band come from? Apparently the lead singer is also a busy producer, so his band's releases sometimes take a back seat. But if your into experimental, conceptual, heavy, post-rock then this is for you.


Scarlett Johanson & Pete Yorn- Breakup
So, this is actually pretty enjoyable. I don't really like Pete Yorn's solo stuff, so I'm surprised I dig this. Its sorta what you expect, but with enough twists and well written music to actually make it good.


Jonsi & Alex- Riceboy Sleeps
One of the creative forces behind Sigur Ros and his boyfriend joy together to make even more ambient music that Sigur Ros. Great stuff.


Volcano Choir- Unmap
The new stuff from the mastermind behind Bon Iver. Its scaled-back, more experimental and orchestrated than Bon Iver, but you can tell its from the same creative mind.


2 comments:

BJ said...

it's interesting that we both have a similar taste in off the radar music, yet you'd never heard many of the bands i listed the other day, and i've not heard of most of these artists you listed. i'll need to check them out.

David Bazan's new album is awesome. It's not better or worse than his Pedro stuff, but it shows both a musical and lyrical progression. I saw him perform a house show in Denver last spring, and he's pretty awesome.

I've wanted to pick up the Jonsi and Alex cd, just haven't gotten a chance. I love me some ambient gay duet music.

Anonymous said...

Guess i should send you a thumb drive pretty soon.