I just read the Time article on abortions. It can be found here. It is nine pages long and takes some time to read (I paused for thought quite often through the article).
This is such a touchy subject for me. As most of you reading this know, I am Pro-Life, and disagree with abortion wholly. However, I am so fed up with religious zealots who make this a simple issue. Its NOT. And there is way more to it than simply reversing the Roe v. Wade decision.
I am still formulating my thoughts on the article; but I would like to point out that I believe that anti-abortion advocates have missed a ridiculously huge part of the argument. They make the issue so black and white and about simply making a law that prohibits abortion. This will not work. We need to help make abortions few and far between by providing education regarding sex, universal health care (that will help those in poverty with medical costs of a pregnancy), bettering our social programs (to help single mothers), and by making adoption easier.
My favorite quote from the article came from a smart and thoughtful pastor who was referring to his meetings with people who ran a local abortion clinic:
"Friends or not, it took a year to come up with a common-ground statement of goals: to decrease abortions, relieve the social and economic conditions that lead women to consider abortion, make adoption easier, condemn violence and keep talking."
I would love to start a discussion on this issue. Please respond in the comments or write your on blog on this topic.
Novel 4!
-
Desert Divide is live and out in the world! What a great week it has been.
The book was published Monday. Since, I’ve confirmed one book signing in
August,...
4 years ago


2 comments:
Abortion is a really touchy issue. I don't think that I could ever have one. There are too many risks involved and there are plenty of families out there wanting to adopt a child. I'd rather deal with the thought that I gave a child away than the thought that I let someone vacuum one out of me. But really, who am I to say that other people can't do that to themselves? They'll have plenty of consequences that they have to deal with because of it, whether they come from their own emotions, physical consequences, society, or God...and I don't feel like it's my place to look down upon those who feel that an abortion is the right thing to do for themselves.
Love the sinner, hate the sin. Right?
I don't know. I'm as "on the fence" as anyone can be...
So, I am going to read the article- not now...but, when I have some good time.
I know we have similar, yet differing views on abortion. But, I think we are due for another convo about it- the last one (I think) was when we drove up for our co-bacehlor party ink trip.
And now, a year later- let the conversation commence...sparrow bakery style?
Talk to ya soon...love you and your passionate response.
Post a Comment