The presidential campaign is in full swing, just shy of a full two years early (reminds me of Christmas, staring earlier and earlier every time). I am constantly thinking about this and already beginning to weigh my voting options. I know that we are in a very volatile time and we are in desperate need of logical, ethical, and productive leadership.
One obvious area for concern is the so-called “war on terror” that is being fought in Iraq. (By the way, we’re not going to find Osama there!) Everyone reading this knows where I stand on the war and knows that I believe we need a president who is going to withdrawal our troops from Iraq as soon as safely possible. Ironically, two of the three front-running, Democratic candidates voted for the war originally (Obama wasn't in Congress then and didn't have a chance to vote either way; although he is not shy in pointing out that he was "against the war publicly" prior to the invasion").
I respect Jon Edwards for coming out and admitting his mistake in voting for the war, but I am very frustrated with Hillary (and not just for saying the word “conversation” a billion and a half times). She voted for the war originally and simply refuses to come straight out and say it was a mistake. She skirts the issue and recently said, “Had I been president in 2002, we would not have gone to war in Iraq.” But what really chaps me is that she will not admit her mistake. On the Today show, when she was asked straight up if her vote was a mistake, she jumped around the issue never directly answering the question.
I want a president who is honest, real, and can admit their mistakes.
***I realized after I wrote this that now would be a good time for me to come clean on some of my thoughts in the past. Initially I was for invading Iraq because I was under the impression that there were WMD's. I was incorrect. Some of my political views in the past (see: for the death penalty, for invading Iraq, for loosening gun control, etc.) were simply wrong and I would like to come clean now to all of you.
Novel 4!
-
Desert Divide is live and out in the world! What a great week it has been.
The book was published Monday. Since, I’ve confirmed one book signing in
August,...
4 years ago


2 comments:
If you're looking for honesty and ethics in politics my first suggestion would be to avoid anyone named Clinton. ie. "I did not have sex with that woman."
Secondly, and i appreciate your sentiment and don't mean to make fun, but in the words of George Carlin, "if honesty and integrity were suddenly introduced into American politics, the whole system would collapse. Because think of where we started...a group of land-owning, slave-owning priveledged aristocratic MEN who suggested that all people are created equal and then still didn't give Indians, blacks and women the right to vote."
The whole thing started as a hypocrisy, and should probably stay that way for our own safety.
It's refreshing to hear people admit they are wrong. I have little to no hope for politics.
Post a Comment