Monday, November 26, 2007

On the Right Side of the Tracks

Warning, sporadic thoughts ahead. These are just some thoughts I was thinking on my recent Thanksgiving cruise to Mexico with my wife, my parents, and her dad and step mom.

Sometimes I think that our success in this world all comes down to which side of the tracks you were born. Chances are, if you are reading this, you were born on the same side that I was. I have never worried about when I was going to eat next, where I was going to sleep at night (even in my touring days I could at least sleep in the van), or how I was going to pay the heating bills over the winter. The cruise was great fun, and spending time, especially on a cruise, with family is always nice. But there was something that nagged me the whole time. I would say that 95% of the cruise ship's staff (waiters, cooks, maids, maintenance) were from outside the US. And about 85% of those were from third world countries such as Honduras, Nicaragua, Mymar, Thailand, etc. As I thought about these staffers, I couldn't help but wonder about their family. In talking with some of the staff, I found out that Carnival employees work for 8 months straight, and then go home for vacation for 2 months. Most of these people have wives/husbands and kids at home, that they see every eight months. In thinking about this, I realize that they are probably happy to have the opportunity to make good money to provide for their families. They even get retirement plans, which seems pretty unlikely for most people in a place like Honduras. But what really bums me out, is that they even had to make the decision to take this job. None of us have ever been so desperate for a "good" job that we would be willing to be away from our loved ones for 8 months at a time. It just makes me reflect on how lucky I am. May I never forget that I am so blessed... and I may I never forget to try and make a difference in this system, where being born on the right side of the tracks determines the course of life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your sentiment and i love you for taking the time to appreciate the people around you while you're on a vacation and could easily have pushed those thoughts aside.
Here's a thought...with so many people in the world probably in that same boat (no pun intended) as far as having to leave their families for lengths of time to survive, do you think that every culture has the same concept of family and the same feelings of missing them while being away as we do? I really don't know one way or another but i wonder if we compare the American idea of the nuclear family to cultures that don't have the same ideas about it. For some, i have to imagine that going other places to work, being away from family and loved ones, etc. is just such an inevitability that it is their reality and it doesn't phase them as much as it would phase us. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Nole...I felt very similar when Erin, my fam, and I spent a week in cancun at an all-inclusive resort.

Adam- I love your comment...what a good question. I love studying the differences between cultures because it always ends up telling you something about yourself. I think that this case is no different.

"Family life" must mean a lot of different things around the world- all, as Nole would put it dependent on "what side of the tracks" you were born on. Even the concept of a nuclear family is so abstract in today's world.

Good shit fellas. Also, thanks for the comments over on polipopculture- glad that my eighties experiences involve both of you!!!

Kevin said...

Thanks for the post Nole and the follow up Adam. It is definitely easy to put our consciousness on the back burner while we are on vacation. Its like that old adage about it not being cheating when you are in a different area code. I was in Orange County for thanksgiving and started to think that if I went shopping on black friday (Buy nothing day), no one back home would see me in line at Best Buy at 4:00 in the morning because the deal was "so good". I did not go, but I definitely considered it.

The second point is great, about our natural inclination to superimpose our belief structures about family and use of time on others, who could very well see it differently. I wonder about the possible love and devotion that compels someone to make shit happen at all costs, that is legit.

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

It's good to hear you didn't give in, Kev.