
Read: "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. This was a book recomneded to me by mom, but sat, unread on my bookcase for a couple months. With the previews for the movie being shown quite a bit, I ws reminded that I had the book and set to reading it (I hate watching a movie and then reading the book; it always has to be the other way around for me in order to allow my imagination to interpret the book without having images from a film tainting that interpretation). Anyways, I started reading the book and could not put it down. I finished it in about two weeks (which used to be a long time for me, but with married life, work, the gym, and... what else... oh yeah, online poker), reading a book in two weeks means that I really liked it. This book is Hosseini's first novel, but you would never guess. He is a master at drawing out emotion (I literally was crying at one part at the gym!!). The story revolves around Amir, a young boy living in Kabul, Afghanistan and his struggles growing up and beyond. The story really paints a good picture of war torn Afghanistan, and what it was like growing up in that. Please, go read this book.

Watch: Project Runway. I know, I know, reality TV is awful, blah, blah blah. The truth is: I like reality TV if it is done well and doesn't involve crazy shit (see: Flava of Love, The Bachelor, Real Desperate House Wives, etc.). The reality shows I like and watch are Survivor, The Amazing Race, Biggest Loser (love seeing to fat people lose weight while eating nachos), and Project Runway. If you haven't seen Project Runway, chances are you wrote it off as some lame show that only people like my mom and gays watch. Well, you'd be half right. Sure, people like my mom and gays do watch Project Runway, but that doesn't make it a bad show. In fact, it is a really good show; one that involves intricate social aspects as well as a very creative moments. I really love watching these designers (as with any reality show, there are some very strange characters) scramble to create garments out of very interesting supplies (once they had to make a dress out of nothing but things from a nursery. Very cool). The main thing that I really like (and wish that the fashion world would jump on) is the desginer's abilities to make some really awesome garments from very inexpensive materials. Last weeks episode saw the designers create beautiful, and very fashionable, clothes using only $15 worth of fabric. That is cool. Anyways, if you haven't watched, give it a try. I highly recommend it.

Listen: Ryan Adams "Easy Tiger" I'll admit, I was way late on the Ryan Adams train. I had heard the name, and his amazing cover of "Wonderwall" on "Love is Hell pt. 1," but for whatever reason, I failed to obtain, listen, and enjoy Adams. I am happy to report: that has changed. Adams is now constantly playing on my computer or iPod. Lucky, my local library (a great source for music) has a large Adams catalog (I have scored Gold, Rock and Roll, Easy Tiger, Cold Roses, and Jackson City Nights). The album marks Adams first album that he wrote and recorded sober (though, as Kevo pointed out to me, the picture on the cover of the album has his watch set to 4:20; probably not a coincidence.) Anyways, the record is very cohesive, and features Adams continuing to show off his amazing vocal abilities, while his band, The Heartbreakers, add enough twang to make Waylon Jennings sing along from his grave. Stand out tracks include "Goodnight Rose," "Two," "The Sun Also Sets," and "Off Broadway."


4 comments:
I am such an Adams fan. I'm glad this made the list.
I also thought the 4:20 reference was a little humorous considering his lack of said muse (or any other for that matter) for this album.
Loved the kite runner.
I am sure project runway is cool, but NFL takes up all my T.V. watching time.
Ryan Adams is a B.A.M.F. - I thought I gave you some of those albums in G.P. (Credit where credit is due?)
Off topic: You guys aren't coming down for Christmas, are you?
Yes, Kevo did give me "Love is Hell pt 1"
Thank you Kevin.
Post a Comment