In the past week, I scored two really awesome items because someone thought they were pieces of junk, but I beg to differ.
This first item I got about a week or so ago. It is this vintage bike.
As Carrie and I were driving to class on Saturday morning, I noticed this bike at the end of our street propped upright in about three feet of snow. I mentioned to Carrie that I should quickly grab it and put it in our garage. But being as she is a staunch "rule-follower" she instantly shot me down saying that it might be someone's bike that they left there and it wasn't mine to take. It looked pretty abandoned to me, but my argument was quickly refuted.
Later that day, we came home for lunch, and sure enough the bike was still there. Not being one who gives up easily on something I want, I started in with arguing again. But Carrie stood her ground refusing to accept that it was ok for me just to take the bike. A small argument ensued, which ended in her refusing to back down and me getting angry. So we went back to class.
That evening, we returned home to find the bike still untouched and now sitting in three and a half feet of snow. I was determined to make it mine, but Carrie would have none of it. This time a larger argument erupted with Carrie and I each holding our ground. Refusing to give in (even though she had a valid point), I decided to call the non-emergency police line and see what they wanted me to do. Within seconds there was a police officer at the end of the street asking me to meet him at the bike. (Yes, I do feel bad for taking up his time while he should be out fighting crime, not settling a minor domestic difference over an abandoned bike.)
When I got there, he informed me that they find abandoned bikes like this all the time and just send them to the recycling center. If I wanted it, it was mine. So there I was, pushing my new treasure up my street, my wife standing in the driveway with steam protruding out of her ears.
The second item is this.
Carrie and I went to an estate sale where I found this 8-track, AM/FM radio, tape deck, record player and speakers for $20. Ever since Cole got a record player for X-mas I wanted one so bad. So here I am typing this listening to Billy Joel's "The Stranger," Neil Young's "After the Goldrush," and a lot of The Beatles (thanks Ron for loaning those to me!) I am a happy man.


3 comments:
You should check your Mom and Dad's garage...you probably could have gotten these items for free!
xoxo
I expected more nudity from a post entitled "One Man's Junk"...
I am so glad the bike story is now in print.
And congrats on the record player. One of my favorite items in my possession.
Post a Comment