Sunday, November 23, 2008

3 Doors Down - Citizen Soldier

Have you seen this video? I keep seeing it every time I go see a movie (we went to see "Happy-Go-Lucky," more on this later) and it makes my blood boil for many reasons:

War isn't like this. It isn't fun... but this video glorifies it, making it look cool, honorable, and most telling: unrealistic.

I can't stand the line "I fired the first shot that started a nation" because it leaves out one important point... the line should continue "and that killed some one's son, brother, husband, and/or father" They conveniently forget what war does: end lives. This isn't a video game or movie (or a video for a shitty song), this is war. It involves peoples lives. More precisely, it involves ending people's lives. May we all see through the propaganda and lies that are being fed to us to see war for what it truly is.


3 comments:

bpddjeoomon said...

Every time I go to the movies and see that video I think of that Wrangler jeans commercial that uses Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son". The beginning of the commercial uses the "Some folks are born, made to wave the flag/Ooh, they're red, white, and blue" in order to leave the viewer with patriotic feelings, and then they cut out "And when the band plays hail to the chief/ooh, they point the cannon at you" etc.

shells said...

wtf!!! i am so glad you wrote a blog about this...miah and i get so pissed everytime we have had to see it this past year..sometimes we just walk out til its over. as a matter of fact we had to watch it tonight at camelview. your point is valid! and hey stop being a jerk and call us back! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yet another hit from the Toby Keith school of songwriting...