I remember five years ago seeing Garden State for the first time. It was 2004 and I was 22 years old having no clue what life had in store for me. I specifically remember the film resonating deeply with me because I could relate so well to what the main character was going through. In Garden State, every twenty-something who was confused and unsure about their future had reason to believe that they weren't alone and, although they weren't sure how, life would undoubtedly work itself out.Fast-forward five years and I am a 27 year old father. My son, Cash, is six months old and though I feel like I (pretty much) have my life going in the right direction; although, it still scares the hell out of me to think that I'm directly responsible for this little life. I stress about his future, I question if I'll be able to raise him to be kind and generous, and overall, I worry about my ability to be a good father. What parent doesn't?
Which brings us to Away We Go. Fittingly, this is the first film my wife and I have seen in the theaters since the day before Cash was born. And it fell on Cash's sixth month birthday.

Away We Go is the story of a thirty-something couple who find out their expecting. Both characters are played beautifully by two actors, John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph, who are both known more for their comedic efforts than their dramatic ones. After finding out they are expecting, the couple embarks on a cross-continent trip in hopes of finding the perfect place and community for which to raise their child. At the early stopping points the couple hilariously encounters dysfunctional family and friends who are struggling through what it means to be parents. But as the couple's trip progresses, so do they; and they begin to see what's behind life's real struggles. They start to realize what it means to be a family, what it means to have a real home. What ensues is a beautiful portrayal of love and commitment to raising a child surround by that love.
Just like Garden State did five years ago, Away We Go came at a perfect time in my life. It made me reflect on my relationship with my wife, my family, my community, and my son. A joy to watch, this film will stay with me for sometime.


No comments:
Post a Comment