Thursday, January 21, 2010

Goodbye Solo [2009]

Goodbye Solo [2009]

I'm still reeling from this film. I was completely gripped the entire way through the movie and haven't stopped thinking about it since it was over. I love the character study of an unlikely friendship (reminded me of The Visitor in that way) and how those friends interact. I listened to an interview with writer and director Ramin Bahrani ([url="http://www.thefilmtalk.com/2009/09/04/ramin-bahrani-interview-podcast-goodbye-solo-review/"]here[/url]) that was really enlightening and broadened my already deep persecptive on this film. I love his quote that this film is "query into whether or not a person can love another enough to let them make terrible decisions."



Its also worth mentioning how great the acting is in this film. You can't help but laugh and enjoy the character of Solo and you can literally see the weight of William's life regrets in his face. The photography of this film adds to the wonderful acting by allowing the audience to be up close to the characters. Truly beautiful.

No comments: