Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Best in Show: Honorable Mentions (Part 2 of 3)





Book: “Cross Dressing” by Bill Fitzhugh. Despite the obviously lame title of this book, it is everything I hope for in a novel. It is fast and easy to read, but with much deeper observations on human existence than most other works of fiction. (This is why I also love novels like Fight Club, To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Less Than Zero, etc.) This book will make you think and has great social commentary on the church and materialism.

Movie: “Lady in the Water” by M. Night Shyamalan. I thought that this movie was very well written and extremely interesting story. The acting in this film is spectacular, and I really loved the imagery that the movie captured.

Album: “American V: Hundred Highway” by Johnny Cash. This are the very last songs Johnny recorded before he died, and it shows. There are times on this record where you can literally hear in Johnny’s voice that his body is deteriorating and going to die soon. But he sings with more conviction and honesty in one word that most artists do in an entire album. Despite the recent popularity of Cash with the movie out, do yourself a favor and rise above the desire to not jump on the bandwagon, and leap into this record! It will be worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lady in the Water was a great call. That movie was friggin fantastic but I like it even more because of all the haters.