Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why I Hate Hunting (And No, This Has Nothing To Do With Killing Animals [Though I Do Hate It For That Reason Also])

So moving to Bend, OR has been a wonderful choice for Carrie and I. We love the new town, the new activities we get to do, the social environment Bend creates, and yes, we both even like our new jobs. But one thing that has become so annoying about this town is everyone’s obsession with hunting.

Now, I realize that all four of you who read this blog know that I am a vegetarian and over the past few years have become more and more of an animal activist. But I’ll spare you the animal rights discussion for now and simply highlight some of my observations that prove that hunting is lame.

First, (and I realize that this really only applies to teachers) but why the hell do dads think it is okay to take their sons on a nine day hunting trip during the school year? For real? Nine days? Is that really necessary? You want to take your kid on a hunting trip? Fine, but make it a three-day weekend and call it good. The message being sent to these students is that going out and shooting a defenseless Bambi look-a-like with a high-powered rifle and a Buschnell scope is more important than the knowledge being taught at school.

Second, hunting is simply unfair. A deer, whose best defense is running, up against a guy whose spent an entire day staking out a hiding spot in a tree with state of the art camouflaging, a gun that can shoot faster and more powerful than ever before, and a scope that magnifies by 1000%. Its just ridiculous.

The worst part about it though, is that these men (and now their boys) feel such a sense of empowerment by killing Bambi. A better model for their sons on how to be a TRUE MAN would be treating their wife with love, working on their homework with their sons, or showing compassion toward people (and maybe even animals!).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guns are stupid.

Anonymous said...

Hunting for sport is probably the lamest thing that can ever be done. P.S. Thanks for that Deer Jerkey Nole, it was delicious. Books are stupid.

Anonymous said...

I don't like hunting either. I love to fish, but i feel so bad even killing one fish, that i couldn't really imagine killing an animal bigger and more significant than that. In my time in Wyoming, i've probably seen tens of thousands of deer, antelope and moose in the wild and despite them being more common than pigeons in a lot of places, i still would have a hard time deciding which one out of a herd didn't deserve to live any longer.
That being said, i think there is a place for hunting in some of these areas. I know many people who use that meat for sustenance during the winters and while it is a sport, it's more of a sport in the hunter/gatherer sense of it. Hunting also thins overpopulated herds, which is important. Otherwise these animals will die anyway of starvation and disease.
And while i agree that 9-days may be an extensive trip during the school year, you would be surprised the amount a young boy can learn about being a good man by being in the presence of intelligent and ethically minded outdoorsmen. Having been on trips like that since i was 11, i have to say that i owe a lot of who i am today to those types of trips. No offense to the teachers but you know there is more to learn about life than what is taught in the classroom. I know what type of students we all were, and i know that none of us can argue that. Ha.

Lewis Cash said...

Good point, Adam. I do realize that these boys do have a great opportunity to learn on these trips. I guess I just generalized that all hunters have this alpha-male syndrome that creates a kill all animals, ignore wives while watching ultimate fighting attitude. Its true that they aren’t all like this. I hope and pray for my students sake that they have a dad like yours!

Anonymous said...

What the hell is wrong with ultimate fighting? Ya I watch it, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Anonymous said...

cheap car insurance quote
auto insurance quote
texas car insurance
online auto insurance quote
instant car insurance quote
direct car insurance
antique car insurance
car insurance price
car insurance dallas
car insurance coverage
car insurance for woman
auto insurance company
car insurance broker
car insurance canada
cheap online car insurance quote
car insurance cost
general car insurance
car insurance los angeles
florida car insurance
churchil
l car insurance

aig car insurance
admiral car insurance
progressive car insurance quote
car insurance for woman
state farm car insurance
classic car insurance
young driver car insurance
geico car insurance quote
cheap car insurance uk
aa car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
car insurance houston