Wednesday, August 08, 2007

N-Word Free

Following the Imus controversy, we talked for a bit on the cyber world about hip-hop and why I have a hard time listening to it because many of the artists used the N-word and promoted violence and sexism with their lyrics and image.

Because I don't listen to hip-hop, I had never heard of Chamillionaire, but because of his stage name I automatically lumped him in with the typical thug rapper. I guess I was wrong.

I applaud the Grammy award winning artist for his stance on this issue. My favorite (and very thought provoking) quote from this article is, "He went out on tour and saw mostly white faces lip-synching the epithet along with his lyrics." Pretty powerful stuff.

Thanks for thinking Chamillionaire and thanks for this awesome quote: "I was like, 'You know what? I'm not going to say the N-word on this one because when I go back on the road, and I start performing, I don't want them to be saying it, like me teaching them,'" he told The Associated Press.

No comments: