But with the outpour of new music, sometimes I find my self uploading everything on to my computer and only giving a few of the CD's a chance while the others sit in my long list of artists, forgotten about. I was determined not to let that happen with these CD's. So, I came up with an idea that would (hopefully) force me to give each of these CD's their fair share of my attention. For the next however many weeks it takes me, I will be listening to only one of the new CD's (and still listening to other not-so-new music as well) and then writing a review of the CD on my blog. So each Friday (except for the two that follow this... hello Nicaragua) you can come and read about one album that I listened to that week. After reading the review, if you don't have the record already, I'd encourage you to check out it and leave a comment on what you think about it (or just call me to discuss it). Now I have to be careful in doing this, because Shells and Miah were specific that I only share this music with other people who enjoy creative music as much as we do... so if that isn't you, then don't go listen to these records.
The first record on the docket for me was Every Time I Die's "Gutter Phenomenon." Every Time I Die (ETID from now on to save me typing that long name every time [although I have probably now typed more words that I would have had I just left it as their full name, but I digress]) is one of the those bands that I have heard of, and even heard some of their music in passing, but never gave them a real listen. Boy was I missing out. This record is full of everything you want from creative, artistic hardcore: high pitch screams, super slow breakdowns, cowbell jams, squealing guitars (ala Norma Jean), well placed hand claps and even some... er, awesome... lyrics. He even uses the worst word in the English language in the most amazing way: "Hey there girls, I am ***t. Now normally I don't love expletives in songs, but ETID uses them so sparsely and amazingly that it makes it awesome (similar to Recover's "Sleeper"). When the vocals howls, "***k yeah, we're gonna party tonight" it just makes you want to dance and sing along.Speaking of the vocals, I really love the range that is presented here. Sure, there are your standard growls and howls, but the singer's vocals seem to be somewhat more understandable than other hardcore outfits while still being heavy and emotional. I might get raked of the coals for this, but at times the singer reminds me of old Blindside vocals. I also loves when he screams at the highest registrar for long periods of the song (see Bored Stiff, "All together noooooooow!"). There are also some really good sing songy parts, like "If loving me is wrong, then by God you do it right" in The New Black. That song opens with the cracking of a can opening and some laughs. I can only image what beverage is being opened during the recording session.
The music is really diverse and interesting. Yes it has the drop C chug-chug parts and high pitched squeals (still love those after all these years), but it also has some really amazingly written hooks. Couple that with a stop-on-dime tight rhythm section and you have some very cool songs. I love that the drums are very well played. The drummer seems to move very quickly and effortlessly from fast, shot-gunning beats (see Tusk and Temper, where he rides on the bell of the ride cymbal reminding me of Iron Maiden beats) to super slow and thick breakdown beats (like in the beginning of Gloom and How It Gets That Way).
My only complaint with this record is the overall length. Clocking in at just over a half an hour, I feel like the songs could use a little more time. Great songs like Gloom... and Bored Stiff just seem to end a little early.
Overall, this is a fantastic record and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes heavy, yet artistic music. Its great for the gym or bike riding... or grading math quizzes for that matter!


No comments:
Post a Comment