
So for the second installment of Friday's "Shelly/Miah's New Music Review" I will be talking about The National's "Boxer."
The National is another band that I have heard a lot about never had the oppertunity to check out for myself. I had tried a month or so back to get their record from my local library, but they didn't have it. After I heard that they will be opening for Modest Mouse here in Bend, I was really anxious to get a listen. So you could imagine my glee when "Boxer" was included in my care package.
I first put it in on my iPod last Saturday as I rode my bike into the gym. As the first track entitled "Fake Empire" began to grace my ear drums, I was shocked. I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but what I got is not what I had anticipated. The opening track intros with a cool pad and piano intro. As the vocals came in, I was taken aback by his voice. It sounds something like a British baritone. He sorta speaks sings his very deep and thoughtful lyrics. As the track begins to build, the drums fade in in a sotra awkward (yet cool) timing. Just when you think it surely was a mistake of timing on the recording, the music fits together like a puzzle piece. During the instrumental outro, some strings and horns began to accent the already moving music for a great end to a first track. The ending had sorta a Sufjan feel to it, and was really good. (I later found out that Sufjan contributed to parts on the record.)
As the second track started, I began to realize that I really, really liked The National. In the second song the singer speak/sings on of my favorite lines on the record: "You get mistaken for strangers by your own friends." One thing that sticks out in my mind throughout the record is the never dull drumming. The drummer has a way of playing beats that push the song along and don't distract from the hook, while still being very intricate and interesting. It is really impressive. See "Apartment Story" and "Squalor Victoria" for examples of this.
As the record moved on, I was really intrigued by how seamlessly the songs move from one to the next. While none of the songs stand out as head and shoulders better than another, each song fits together with the record while still be able to stand on its own. This is a great example of a record that is meant to be listened to as a whole. The National is able to mix in great ballads (see: "Start A War") within some solid rock songs (see: Brainy). I can't help but mentioning (nor do I think the band would mind) that I am often reminded of the great Morrissey when listening to the record. It is one of those records that continue to grow on me, and I am continually finding new, amazing features of each song.
Overall, a fantastic record and one I would highly, highly encourage any music lover to check out. If you live in Bend, hit me up and I'll hook you up. If you live in Phoenix, find Shels and Miah. If you don't live in either of these places, then I guess you have to go buy it. Sorry. But do yourself a favor, whatever way possible, go get this record.


1 comment:
Ok, i just listened to the first song and please excuse my language but HOLY FUCK THAT IS GOOD!
Post a Comment