Friday, April 04, 2008

New Music Version 2.99

OK, so I don't have new music to talk about. I have been crazy busy lately and just haven't had time to listen to a new record in depth. I can tell you that the next record on the docket is (Oregon's own) Menomena's "Friend and Foe."

In the meantime today, I wanted to talk about some books that I have read in the past few weeks.





"No Country for Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy. I got this book because Shels and Miah (and basically everyone in the world) couldn't stop raving about the movie. Knowing that I hate reading the book after I have seen the movie, I quickly fired up my local library's search engine and happily requested this book. I pretty much read it in about a week and a half (some of that time being in Nica) and I was really pleased with the story. I really liked the characters and the very suspenseful story. My one complaint (and know that I haven't seen the movie yet) is that I didn't see the allegory to our world; in other words, I didn't see a moral to the story. It just seemed like a good story. All the critics (and everyone who saw the movie) raved about the film's spectacular message, but I just didn't see it in the book. When I see the movie I'll let you know if I feel different about it.




"Serve God, Save the Planet" by J. Matthew Sleeth. This is a book that my parents got for after seeing Sleeth give a speech at a converence my sister put together. The title basically says it all; this is a book about being a Cristian environmentalist. And honestly, its a really good book. The book is written from a very Christian perspective, and talks about how G-d clearly states in the Bible (over and over again) that we need to be taking care of our planet. Sleeth also outlines some practical ways to reduce our carbon footprint (something I am always trying to do). One thing that I think Carrie and I are going to try to do (that was talked about in this book) this spring/summer is hang out our clothes to dry. Its such an easy task, helps clothes last longer (the lint in the lint trap of your dryer is actually pieces of you clothes), and of course helps reduce our energy usage. This book is a good read, and a book I would highly suggest to anyone Christian you might know you is still hesitant about the whole green movement.



I am looking forward to getting back into making reading a priority in my life. And I am excited about the books I am currently reading, as well as books that I have coming to me from the library that I will be reading. These include:

Currently reading/finishing:
"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
"To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father" by Donal Miller
"Blue Clay People" by William Powers

On Hold at the Library/Going to be Reading:
"Nicaragua: The Sandinist Revolution" by Henri Weber
"The Night Buffalo" by Guillermo Arriaga (who wrote 21 Grams and Babel)


And while we are talking about requests at the library, check out my list of DVD's that are on hold for me:
Borat (still haven't seen it)
The Lives of Others
Why We Fight
Sherrybaby
Water
Half Nelson
The Departed



It should be a pretty good next month or so with this kind of literature and film coming my way. G-d bless the library... what a wonderful use of tax dollars.

2 comments:

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

I wonder how many libraries could have been built with $500 million? Just throwing it out there...

Anonymous said...

Since when can you be too busy to listen to music but have time to read 6 books? That's bass-ackwards, my friend.

Re: No Country...i didn't see a lesson or a moral in the movie either...