But, alas, I have found time to write one today and here it is:
Menomena "Friend and Foe"

Menomena is band that I have kept hearing about. They are from my home state of Oregon and just recently a student of my had told me to check them out. I take students' advise pretty lightly (being as they are usually asking me to play Flo' Rida or Puddle of Mudd), but this kid obviously has good taste.*
I really enjoy this CD. It took a while for me to really fall in love with it; thought from the first intro on the first track of loud, low tuned drum fill to the last minute and a half piano outro this album packs in some great songs. The amazing thing about Menomena is that they are a three piece band that incorporates more than just the traditional rock instruments. Weaved throughout the album you can hear baritone and alto sax, keyboard effects, percussion toys, digitally created grooves, bells, and other non-traditional rock elements.
The vocals also stand out on this record. The band seems to trade off lead singing and the harmonies always are spot on. Many of the vocals have and sing-songy rhythm to them that groove super hard when put to a thick drum pattern (see the fifth track "Weird"). You will being humming along to the melody after one listen.
What I think makes this such a fantastic record is Menomena's use of space. Take for instance the fourth track titled "Air Aid." The song starts with a pretty bouncy drum part while small melody takes place with a low guitar riff (baritone guitar?). It is accented by small beeps as well as perfectly placed piano accents. As the vocals come in, so does a deep sax riff. It almost sounds bluesy or soulful. After the first verse of this, the sax begins to really take the forefront in the melody with the low guitar and piano taking a back seat. What makes this so awesome is the great tension created in the song. The juxtaposition of the trading melody helps create a solid space in which the song can grow. And gradually, it does just that until its airy and strangely beautiful ending.
If you haven't yet heard this band, I highly recommend them. Give the record at least three through listenings and be amazed as each subtly becomes more and more beautiful and smart with each listen.
As you can see here, Menomena is serious about art.
*The more we got to talking, the more I realized that he like good music. A 7th grader who likes The Postal Service, The Shins, and more! We've even gotten in the habit of trading vinyls for a week or so to listen to each other's records. Currently he has a Mars Volta of mine and I have a Postal Service remix record of his.


No comments:
Post a Comment