Sunday, March 02, 2008

My First Record Purchase

So after buying my record player, I was out of money and couldn't buy a record until the follow month (Carrie and I each get $100 "fun money" a month that we buy our recreational stuff with, for me that usually means beers and nachos with the guys.) Luckily Ron loaned me some of his parents' old records and also bought me an awesome C,K,N, & Y live record as a record player christening gift. So when the first of the month rolled around and my fun money fund replinshed I instantly went out looking for a record to buy.

Now, this was a big decision because I didn't want to go and drop all my fun money on the first day (and therefore not be able to go out with the bros at all this month) so I set my limit at $20. I roamed and roamed Bend's only record shop trying to find the perfect first record. I contemplated getting the following: Band of Horses, Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, U2, Radiohead (shut up Adam!), and mewithoutYou. But when it came down to it, I decided that I would get The Mars Volta's third record (which I don't have digitally either) Amputechture. I am listening to it right now and let me tell you: I am confident that I made the right choice.



PS: I also got a Steve Miller Band "Live" CD (sounded just like I remember them Ron and Adam) and an Eagles greatest hits, both for a dollar each. So I got $78 left for beer and nachos this month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Radiohead, i just like watching all the fanatics get so worked up when i say that i don't a whole lot more...

Anonymous said...

You should get Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser, Bo Diddley is a Gunslinger and Nina Simone on vinyl...classic albums on a classic medium.

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

"I decided that I would get The Mars Volta's third record (which I don't have digitally either) Amputechture."

This is an important point in the record-buying decision-making process. I have about 20 or so records, and none are backed up digitally. It's a blessing and a curse. But I feel that the purity of sound is worth only being able to listen to it with my utmost attention.

My two cents, anyway.