1. "Gran Tornio"Its no secret that I love Clint Eastwood films. I basically go crazy at just the mention of Mystic River or Million Dollar Baby. But, dare I say it, this film is his best to date. Eastwood starts (incredibly) as a racist and lonely Korean War Vet who's wife just died. Despite his racist and judgemental tendencies, he befriends his Asian neighbours and together they face off against a local gang. This movie brings up many social issues including race relationships, post-war attitudes, third way response to violence, and many others. Do not miss this movie; and once you see it, call me so we can talk about it.
2. "The Visitor"This incredible film takes a stunningly fresh look at illegal immigration through the unlikely friendship of a lonely college professor and a African hand drummer. You can read my full review here.
3. "Wall-E"Pixar has really out done itself here. This movie literally has no dialogue for the first 45 minutes or so and yet keeps you on the edge of your seat. Many people have commented on the environmental aspect of this film, and rightfully so; but I think there is much more to it than that. This film is a direct commentary on America's obsession with consumerism. Remember 9/11? What did our fearless leader tell us to do following those horrific attacks? Go shop. This film flies in the face of that.
4. "Happy Go Lucky"A wonderfully playful, yet serious film. This comedy takes a look at how living with a positive outlook can affect who you are. Read my full review here.
5. "Slumdog Millionaire"I didn't really think that I would like premise of this film: an Indian "slumdog" goes on a popular game in order to allow fate to bring the love of his life back into his life. Sounds kinda corny, right? WRONG! This film, which is visually stunning, follows the story of Jamal from his slum roots until his unlikely run to 20 million rupees on the game show. Woven into the story is a wonderfully honest and tragic look into the life of many of the untouchable caste in India. It is moving, heartbreaking, and something everyone needs to be aware of. I couldn't help but think of the work being done there by Rise Up India and other amazing non-profit organizations. *Also, the film features the most effective use of subtitles I've ever seen; whenever the dialogue goes into Hindi, the subtitles pop off the screen because of the use bold text atop brightly colored background, at times even moving around the screen to accommodate the shot.
6. "Frost/Nixon"This Ron Howard film takes a look back at the incredible David Frost/Richard Nixon's interviews following Nixon's resignation from the presidency. The tension this film creates is phenomenal and the acting is superb. It helps that Frank Langella played Nixon in the play version of this film, for which he won a Tony. Its the second film I have seen with Langella this year, and I've been captivated both times.
7. "The Dark Knight"I was so excited about this movie when it came out and it didn't let me down. I absolutely loved the film, especially the incredible moving scene where the convict throws the bomb detonator out the boat's window. After seeing the film, I listened to this review of it and was truly blown away by the commentary. The movie, and the review, are well worth your time.
8. "Boy A"Can someone who committed a horrific crime as a child be rehabilitated into society? Can love overcome even the darkest of pasts? This film takes a close look at these and other similar themes as it centers on a twenty something convicted criminal's attempt at reinstatement into society. Jack, aka Boy A as he is known in the criminal system, follows the advice of the fatherly caseworker and does his best to fit in the world normally; he gets a job, drinks beers with his new friends, and even begins to fall for co-worker. But the film takes a strikingly look at how a haunting past can hinder even the best of intentions.
9. "Fuel"This full length documentary address the very volatile issue of, you guessed it, fuel. This film has the ability to drive you to a fit of rage while inspiring you to be a part of the solution. Its a film that all consensus Americans need to see.
10. "In Bruges"Sometimes I can be a sucker for mob/hit man movies... that is if they can be done right. Well, this one was done right. Interesting and unpredictable plot twists, darkly funny situations, characters you care about (though you shouldn't), and the best little person actor in showbiz combine to make this film a gem. Its unique take on the usually boring and cliche hit man genre that will make you laugh at loud.
2008 movies that I really want to see, but didn't get a chance to yet and I think may have had a good chance of making my list:
Milk
Doubt
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Man on Wire
The Wrestler
Rachel Getting Married
Frozen River
Pray the Devil Back to Hell


3 comments:
I heard someone complaining about Wall-E because "they politicized a Disney movie that was meant for children." My answer: "Have you seen Bambi?!? Do you think the NRA liked it? How about Snow White? It taught the duty of honor and hard work...how about Lion King? Mowgli had to stop being a lazy slacker, fight against evil and take his place as a leader even after being raised by a single parent... Name me a Disney movie that didn't have a message for the kids that watched it...The message in Wall-E is stop being fat, useless and wasteful...do you really think that's a bad message for kinds???" Idiots. Seriously, check out the comments on my blog about it...http://adammackwright.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/conservatism-is-exhausting-neo-cons-hated-wall-e/
MILK is EXCELLENT! He was the gay version of Obama is some ways! Check it out definitely!
Best Regards,
EP
I enjoyed your list. I saw a trailer for Boy A a couple of months ago and thought it looked interesting but haven't seen any more about it. You were right, the Visitor is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I plan on seeing Gran Torino sometime this week. I truly believe that mr. Eastwood and I will be friends someday and i will be able to ask him how I can rock it like the Man With No Name. I highly recommend both The Wrestler and Milk. Saw 'em both this past weekend. I need to watch In Bruges again. I liked it ok. Thought that Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes were all fantastic. Didn't remember loving it but it has stuck with me, so maybe it deserves another shot.
Post a Comment