Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Crappy Music Continues, Not Excited About Something I Should Be, and Some Movies to Check Out

Wow, that was a long title, huh? Basically, I have to report some horrible news. Actually, the article I'm about to link you to has two of the worst pieces of music related news I've heard in a long time.

Creed is set to reunite and the lead singer from the awful Alter Bridge is rumored to sing with jimmy Page and John Paul Jones in a Led Zeppelin reunion without Robert Plant.

Creed uniting... could it get any worse? I hate myself for liking this band when I was in high school.

Also, I am really annoyed with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. The rumor is that they wanted to do a Zeppelin reunion tour with Robert Plant (and most likely with Jason Bonham on drums). But with the success of the amazing "Raising Sand" record, Plant said he wanted to focus on music with Allison Krauss. I respect that, and Page and Jones should too. Instead, they (reportedly) want to go forward with the reunion tour with the lead singer of Alter Bridge on vocals. WTF!?! For real? What a terrible idea. Here's an thought Page and Jones: you are great musicians, so why not just start a new project? Write some new songs, record, and hit the road as something new. Instead, this looks like a desperate attempt at making money and staying relevant... which I will have no part of.

In other news, I saw three awesome movies recently, two in the cinema and one at home (with the wonderful Werner's). The wife and I are trying to take in as much film as possible before the
baby boy comes (btw, have you seen the little widget on my blog? Only 21 days to go!) and we've had the privilege to take in Happy Go Lucky, What Just Happened, and For the Bible Tells Me So. Below will be my quick take on each of these films. But let me just say before I get started, you should see each of them.


Happy Go Lucky- This is a great film that will no doubt make you laugh. At times, it seemed somewhat disjointed, but after talking about it after the movie with Carrie, I realized that each of those scenes was desperately needed to tell the whole story. This movie is based around happy go lucky Poppy, an elementary school teacher who sees the good in everything/everybody. But her life is not without conflict and its her reaction to this conflict that makes the great basis for this film. There is an amazing performance by Eddie Marsan that is worth your admission ticket alone.


What Just Happened- This film centers on the Robert DiNero playing a twice divorced, Hollywood hot shot movie producer. He is constantly on his Blackberry (with blue tooth, of course) negotiating (read: spewing lies) at actors, directors, and financial backers. Meanwhile, he and second ex-wife see a high priced councilor to show them how to "separate with dignity." This film is a very funny (and probably very true) satire of the Hollywood movie machine. I applaud Sean Penn and (especially!) Bruce Willis for being able to make fun of themselves as Hollywood stars.



For the Bible Tells Me So- I started writing a review on this, but decided to save it for a post all its own, coming soon.

No comments: