
For the Bible Tells Me So- I found this movie at the library and just had to watch it! A documentary about Christians and homosexuals?!? This has controversy written all over it. My wife (for those that don't know, I am straight), Ron & Erin, and I had the great oppertunity to watch and discuss this film last Saturday.
As a (progressive) Christian, this has been a huge topic of thought, discussion, and research for me lately. In case you couldn't guess by some of my other posts, I fully support gay marriage, both politically and religiously. (By the way, if you'd like to have a thoughtful, non hate-filled dialogue about this, then please leave a comment; otherwise, don't bother.)
The film focuses on many different Christian families who have gay children and how these families deal with it. It spends some time on the science of sexuality, features interviews with some of the best theologians (including Desmond Tutu) on their thoughts regarding the Bible and homosexuality, and delves into the issue with serious depth. The film tries hard not to ostracize people based on their beliefs, though I'm sure those who are extreme conservatives would claim to be offended. It succeeds in tugging at your heart stings, telling the story of those who have been left out and judged by the Church and their families; but it does this without getting overly emotional about the issue.
This film will no doubt make you think, and I would highly suggest that you watch it with other people so that you'll have the great opportunity to digest and discuss it together. If you a believer, it will drive you to your Bible. From there, you will no doubt begin to do some more research on the issue and prayerfully come to your own conclusions.
One thing is clear though, the gay community has been wrong by the Church. It is time that the Christian community comes clean and apologizes and begins to love all people regardless of sexual preference, as the Bible clearly instructs us to do. I would argue that this will be the issue that defines our generation. Just like there were Christians saints who spoke against slavery, woman suffrage, and segregation (much to the chagrin of many in the Christian community), this generation needs Christians to stand up in the name of love, equality, and compassion (rather than judgement, segregation, and hate). When we look back on this issue 50 years from now, will you have been on the side rooted in love?
Watch the movie, discuss it with open-minded friends, read your Bible, study others' thoughts, and pray...


6 comments:
They're beating with a book everyone that book tells them to love.
i found you at the comment section of Gareth Higgins. He is a friend of mine from my time of living in Northern Ireland.
Anyways, enjoyed your post on this important documentary. i agree with you when you said, "I think it'll be the defining issue of our generation..." over at Gareth's post on Prop 8.
Also, i see that you live in Oregon. Are you familiar with another progressive, emerging blogger named Peter Walker? He lives in Corvalis, Oregon. He blogs here:
http://www.emergingchristian.com/
Nole. What's up my friend. It's Jared from AZ. We talked a little about this in Vegas (good times). Just have a couple New Testament verses to think about... Romans 1:26-27 (be sure to look at the context of this verse) "For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another…” 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 "…Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortion ers will inherit the kingdom of God" Let me know what your thoughts are on those verses... Old Testament, of course, has some cut and dry verses too but I know your thoughts on that : ) Talk to you soon man!
Jared,
There was no word for homosexual. It is a modern construct. Also, your 'cut and dry verses' are taken out of context when condemning homosexuality. The romans verse, contextually, was Paul talking to those who participated in temple prostitution tha ran rampant in their culture. If you wanna be 'cut and dry; you had better tell people they are an abomination for eating shrimp, wearing mixed fiber clothing, touching a woman when she is on her period, etc. They were holiness codes for the Israelites of that time, in their culture. They are not for today. PLEASE look at and consider scripture in their cultural and historical context before you go around saying the Bible is 'cut and dry'!
Also, you probably did not see the film referenced in the post, did you? If you did, then maybe you would actually engage and comment from a different perspective rather than spew out the same old verses that you think speaks against homosexuality. The point of the film is to dispel hurtful and ignorant people like you.
As a Christ-follower who is a queer woman, people spreading hate and ignorance with the Bible are just plain hurtful to people like me and not very helpful if you want to spread Christ's love. AND i am a Christian too! God commands us to love God and love others as we love ourselves. If didn't already Know Christ, the way many Christians act towards those in the LGBTQ community would not compel me to want anything to do with your GOD!
EP, please know that I agree with what you are saying. I’ve done a lot reading and research on this issue and have come to many of the same conclusions that you have. As many wonderful theologians point out in the movie, many of the OT and NT verses used against homosexuality (there are six total verses in the Bible) can be debunked through careful study of language and the context in which they were written. The film does a great job of covering this, and there is a lot of dialogue about it on the web (I personally like this post: http://www.futurechurch.co.za/item/what-the-bible-says-about-homosexuality ) Jarred, I would highly encourage you to check out the film and that link because I think they both address the verses you bring up very eloquently.
Also, EP, please know that Jared is a good person and a friend. He is not a bigot or a Christian who is spreading hate and ignorance. I know for a fact that he loves people regardless of their beliefs, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. My hope with this post is that many of my friends, like Jarred, who are not where I am on the issue, will thoughtfully and prayerfully consider the issue. I’m confident that Jarred doesn’t bring up these verses to blindly condemn homosexuality but to continue the dialogue about homosexuality and the Bible. He and I have had a good conversation in the past on the OT verses, and I am sure that he wanted to get my take on the NT ones.
I also know, EP, you’ve probably been wronged by so many judgmental Christians who spread hate and intolerance, with the Bible as their weapon. On their behalf, I apologize. Many of these Christians comment on blogs in a tone that is unmistakably rude and inconsiderate; I can assure you that Jarred’s comment was not intended to be taken that way.
Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful comments thus far; lets keep the dialogue going.
Lewis,
Thanks for your kind words and for clarifying where Jared is coming from. i respect your judgment. SO, my apologies to Jared for my unwarranted remarks towards him. i hope Jared that you will forgive me. i rushed to judgment and for that i am sorry.
It's so hard with debates on homosexuality and abortion because the debates become so circular with the same things from both sides said over and over ad nauseum.
Where do we, the population at large who comments and posts on these topics, go? i am asking for myself as well.
Much appreciation!
EP
Post a Comment