Monday, December 04, 2006

Best in Show: The Best of the Best (Part 3 of 3)

I've kinda been putting off finishing writing this for two reasons. One, I know that most of you have seen/heard/read all of my favorites, and two, because I didn't have a distinctive favorite movie of the year. I was hoping to solve one of these problems by going to see some movies I had been dying to see over Thanksgiving break and my wish came true. I saw some great movies (For Your Consideration, Babel, The Illusionist, The Science of Sleep) and a clear winner was picked.

Movie: “Science of Sleep.” I had the great opportunity to see this movie in wonderful company (my wife, Ron & Erin, Cole & Amy) and in an awesome movie theater (McMenamin’s), which I think greatly added to the movie. This movie is so creative and original, yet it is still very lighthearted and seriously funny! The movie features three different languages and the use of both animation and real life shooting and often times it combined the two in an amazingly beautiful way.

Book: “”Irresistible Revaluation” by Shane Claiborne. This book is mind blowing. I love the fact that this is such a progressive Christian book, yet he still is not afraid to quote the Bible or talk about falling more and more in love with Jesus and (ALL) of His followers. I probably cried at least five times while reading this book.

Album: MeWithoutYou “Brother/Sister.” Do this guys get it, or what?!? They continue to blow me away with amazingly thought provoking lyrics, incredible melodies, and some of the best drumming out there. I have listened to this CD all the way through probably 25 times already and I still am finding new meanings to the lyrics and new sounds layered on top of each other. Ridiculous.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

The Science of Sleep is high on my must-see list of 2006 movies, but we don't get movies that good in first-run in theaters in my little corner of the world .. I did, however, manage to see Babel, and thought it was the best movie I've seen this year thus far