Thursday, December 07, 2006

No Stairway? Denied.

So, (as usual) I’ve been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin lately, and last night, when Carrie, Cole, Amy, Ron, Erin, Jesse, and I went to the Astro Lounge (a martini bar in downtown Bend) they played three straight Zeppelin songs. Frankly, I could barely concentrate on the conversation at hand because of the amazing music. So today I bring you, my ultimate top five Led Zeppelin songs:

5.) “Rock and Roll”- This was my favorite Zeppelin song in high school because I loved the driving drum part and quick, yet effective drum solo at the end of the song. I also love the guitar solo in this song. It kinda lost a little value for me though, when Page, Plant, and Jones agreed to make this the only Zeppelin song ever to be used for advertising. I hate those Cadillac commercials!

4.) “Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Women)”- I know that technically this is actually two songs, but they pretty much flow together, and to me, they belong together. This is the first Zeppelin song I ever heard and the first one I ever played on drums. So good.

3.) “Dazed and Confused”- This song is infectious. It creeps into you like a virus and never leaves. The bass line is so awesome and thick, and Jimmy Page’s screaming guitar parts fit perfectly over the rhythm section’s groove. I love so much when the song picks up and goes faster and the drums get heavy. The transitions between the parts are so thoughtful and work so well with each other.

2.) “The Ocean”- The way the guitar riff flows in the verses of this song are so cool. It alternates between 4/4 and 3.5/4, with the second part of the riff stopping half way through the fourth beat. Bonham and Jones accent the off time riff perfectly, making it all the more effective. The end section of the song flies into a swinging jam session that fits strangely (and perfectly) into the arrangement of the song. This also might be some of Plant’s best and (underrated) vocal lines and melodies.

1.) “When the Levee Breaks”- What can I say about this song? This has to be the most ingenious recordings of all time. The drums echoing and pounding to start the song, accompanied by a ferocious (and catchy) riff make this the best intro in music history. What is so cool about the drums echoing is the way they recorded it. They didn’t use some high tech echoing devise; they simply set up the drums in a recording room with one mic, then closed the door and put another mic outside the room. Hence, the wonderful echoing sound. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Please share with me your top five list in the comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When The Levee Breaks was track 1, side 1 of my Hurricane Katrina mix. (And yes, i probably punched my ticket to hell with that one.)

I was going to leave my top 5 in your comments but it got insanely long so i posted it on Championship Vinyl. Let me know what you think.