Friday, December 08, 2006

I'm Looking for a Candidate (Version 1.0)

With the presidential elections just under two years away (thank you, Jesus!), I have begun my search for a candidate. I don’t just want a lesser of two evils, I want a candidate that I can fully support. I dream of having a president that I feel excited about donating money to, putting a bumper sticker on my car, and putting a sign in my front lawn!

With that being said, here is some of my major issues that I dream of agreeing with on ALL fronts (though I realize that is a pipedream).

By the way, as I started writing this I realized it was going to be really long, so I am planning on presenting it broken up into a five-part blog. Look for new posts every couple of days. Please, please leave your comments on my thougts, I'd love to hear what you think concerning these issues.

Environment.

The president will be committed to renewable recourses. He/she will give tax breaks and incentives to companies who develop renewable technology and who use renewable technology. The president will also put pressure on the US’s auto industry to seriously research and develop alternative fueled vehicles including (but not limited to): hybrid, ethanol, hydrogen, and veggie (or bio) diesel vehicles.

Global warming will be taken seriously and large strides will be made by encouraging funding for legitimate studies on the issue. The president will also encourage and inspire Americans to reduce their outputs of CO2 by providing incentives and encouraging the country to be front runners in the reduction of CO2 output (instead of dead last, like we currently are.)

The president will also take endangered wildlife and terrain seriously by not allowing urban sprawl and building in protected areas and by proving more protected areas and national parks. Also, the president will commit to conducting major studies and research on the effects oil drilling has on certain areas long before even considering allowing the drilling to take place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we also add- an over haul of our current mass national transit systems. In Europe, I never saw any FUV's (that's right I said it)- and we never needed to rent/borrow/buy a car in order to get around.

That's because everyone takes trains to get around. Our train system in the US sucks- to put it lightly. This is mainly due to the fact that we haven't placed it as a priority...and I am pretty sure the good folks at Ford and GMC would like to keep it that way.

I would love to take pride in a country that valued alternative modes of long distance transportation. Planes and cars will not be able to take us into the future.

PS...I recognize that this is highly unrealistic- but, this is a pipedream president- right???

Anonymous said...

I like your guy so far. I would like to see him focus on the car issue slightly differently. We can research ourselves into obscurity on alternative fuels. The presidents "brilliant" hydrogen fuel cell approach is not practical and could take up to 30 years to make afordable or realistic. I think this president needs to press auto makers to do the leg work and determine strict CAFE standards that will force their hand into improving fuel economy. I think we need one viable solution that can actually get support instead of 4 possiblities that never get any traction (pardon the pun).
I think we could also give tax breaks to grass roots aproaches to alternative fuels like vegie cars. There should be a tax break equivelent to the cost of the alternative fuel system that you add to your car, so you could essentially do the conversion for free. I think these are practical things tha could actually happen if our candidate has a real concern for the environment.