Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Wednesday Morning Watch/Read/Listen

Hello friends, I hope this finds you well.


Read: "Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. This is a book my mom (she has great taste in books) got me for X-mas and I am pretty happy about it. It is the story of Mortenson who, as an avid mountain climber, tried to climb one of the world's biggest and most feared mountains, K2 in Pakistan. After he failed in his quest (because he had to help rescue a teammate), he got lost and stumbled upon a remote village in the mountains. Disorientated, dehydrated, and in need of aide, the villagers took him in and nursed him to recovery. Seeing their hospitality and lack a school, he made it his quest to build a school there. The book chronicles his struggles to keep his promise to the villagers.



Listen: Neko Case and Her Boyfriends "Furnace Room Lullaby" I got this CD from the library recently and I am really glad that I did. Case is a fantastic songwriter and it really shows on this record, which as released in 2000. For those of you unfamiliar with her work, she basically is a (real) country singer-songwriter who has the pipes of the Notre Dame Cathedral. She also adds quite a bit of indie quirkiness to her songs. She is really a fantastic artist and one I would highly recommend you check out.




Watch: After talking with Miah about how everyone has built this movie up for him (and therefore he is reluctant to see it) I have second thoughts on even posting this because I am scared it might discourage those of you who haven't seen yet to do so. Let me just say this: the movie is well written, tackles real life honest issues, and features real life, honest characters and while being very funny but also thought provoking and moving. OK, I don't think I did a good job on not building it up, sorry. Just go see it.

I would love to hear what you guys think about any of these. I hope life is treating you well.

No comments: