Can we please make this chic an Internet celebrity? I don't know how to do that, but I think it would be deserving and funny. Any suggestions?
The wife and I went grabbed some breakfast and went garage saleing the morning of the event. We happened to drive by the high school where the event was taking place. At 8am (doors opened at 9:30) there must have been about 300 people already queuing up. We decided to stop quickly (we weren't planning on arriving until about 9:20 after picking up Ron, Erin, and Amy) by and ask if we could bring food, water, and a camera into the event (no, yes, yes). There was a group of K-9 officers standing near by the entrance, so I decided to quickly ask one of them. His reply: "You know, I have no idea about that stuff. We are just hear searching and sniffing for explosives."
Anyways, once we picked up the gang, we headed to the school to find out that we were way in the back of the line. We didn't care, we had tickets and were getting in. Some people had extra tickets and were giving them away to people who were walking and begging the line for extra. It made me feel bad for the suckas who actually paid people for the free tickets.
Standing in line was pretty fun as Ron and I said sarcastic things about different things, much to our wives's chagrin. We made friends with the older couple standing behind us in line. They were both retired teachers and the husband had been involved in local politics. We shared with them about Rise Up and they kept saying how cool it was that us "young people" were involved in politics and helping others. There were some crazy people in line too, including a guy who was screaming and yelling about how 9/11 was an inside job and that the Iraq war is based solely on the "credit and finance" industry. The annoying thing was that he had his four kids with him (ages 5-12ish) and was acting way over the top. It was so unnecessary and obnoxious. I felt like he could have raised so much more awareness for his "cause" if he would have just talked at a normal volume and not gotten all out of control. Maybe that was Jeremiah Wright's issue to, but I digress.
More about the actually event in the next post.
BTW, see the woman in the skirt/suit to the right? She was an Obama worker from out of state and she was annoying the hell out of everyone. She was running around shouting and bossing people around. Then, while Obama was speaking, she stood right in front of us and other people (including a pregnant woman). When we politely asked her to move to the side, she got all furious and wouldn't move. All of Obama's other aides and workers were very, very nice, including a few others who were asked to move on a separate occasion who did so quickly and even said sorry to boot. I told one of these aides after the event how much I appreciated him being courteous and understanding. He was very nice... unlike this lady, but I digress.


1 comment:
I just heard that one of the folks from our church community paid a homeless guy $50 to stand in line and get tickets for him because he had to work....so funny
Post a Comment