Monday, April 06, 2009

Best Music of 2009- First Quater




So I've had a really good year so far for music. Even with the birth of my son just over three months ago, I've still been able to find, listen to, and fall in love with quite a bit of music released in 2009.

Favorites of 2009 for the first quarter:

Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
ISIS- Wavering Radiant
M. Ward- Hold Time
Neko Case- Middle Cyclone
The Decemberists- The Hazards of Love
Cymbals Eat Guitars- Why There Are Mountains

Didn't Jump Out at Me for the First Few Listens but Still Want to Give More Time to Resonate of 2009 for the first quarter:
BLK JKS- Mystery EP
Cursive- Mama, I'm Swollen
Silversun Pickups- Swoon
Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadues Phoenix
The Felice Bros- Yonder is the Clock

Disappointments/Other People Love This But I Don't:
Doom- Born Like This

Non-2009 Music I Just Discovered and Love
:
Dr. Dog- Fate; Easy Beat
Jaguar Love- Take Me to the Sea
Los Camposinos!- We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
Marnie Stern- This Is It...
Moving Units- Moving Units EP
Portugal. The Man- Waiter: You Vaulters!; Censored Colors
The Cave Singers- Invitations Songs
These Arms Are Snakes- Tail Swallower and Doves; Oxeneers or The Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home


PS: Please leave me a comment if there are other 2009 release that I need to hear. I'm always taking suggestions.

PPS: Let me know if there is music on here you'd like, I can give it/send it to you on a thumb drive if you want.

6 comments:

BJ said...

the new Decemberists album is fantastic. it's the best thing they've ever done. how do you feel about U2? their 21st century stuff has been decent, but has not carried me away. I am mildly enjoying their new one though, definitely more than how to dismantle an atomic bomb.

I also love Animal Collective. Truly a brilliant album.

Im Quinn said...

Dude I have a hell of a time jsut keeping up with all of your music/books/movies. I just saw Gran Torino-thats how far behind I am. I am surprised that the phoenix album didn't jump out at you. I like that EP a lot. They are one of my favorite bands and I am really excited for thier new record to drop this year. One album I would HIGHLY recommend is Metric - Fantasies. Not everyone likes her voice, but I think this is a very enjoyable album.

Lewis Cash said...

BJ- I haven't heard the new U2. I need to get my hands on it. I've got it on hold at the library, but I'm behind 17 others who requested it first. It may be awhile.

Quinn, glad you saw Gran Torino. Hopefully I didn't build it up too much. If you want that Phoenix record, I've got a leaked copy. It doesn't come out for another month and a half, so if you can't wait let me know. I've only listened to it twice, so I think I just need more time with it. I'm going to cehck out Metric right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

brittany said...

i am so so so glad you did this...

Im Quinn said...

I can't wait. I'll send my address immediately. haha

Anonymous said...

Being a drummer, you should really check out Venetian Snares. His most accessible record is "Rossz csillag alatt született".