
The 4th album from mewithoutYou has leaked. If you want the link, please e-mail me. (I plan on buying this record to support the band too, so don't get all crazy on me!) I've listened to if four or five times through since yesterday and I'm smitten. They've shown so much growth since their first record. I feel like mewithoutYou is a band that mirrors my own musical evolution quite well: they started as a heavy and loud band, but with unique and experimental qualities. As they've progressed through four records they've gotten more and more mellow while more and more experimental.

This record has almost no yelling or shouting (a trademark of the band) and features tons of interesting non-traditional rock instrumentation. Think Sufjan or Beirut, but with a mewithoutYou style. The lyrics are amazing (as expected) and all show the progression that Aaron and the boys have gone through. I expect quite a bit of backlash from both Christian and non-Christian fans. While this is probably the most overtly spiritual lyrics of all four of the band's releases, its also the extremely progressive in its scope. For example, I could see conservatives being put off by the final song's intentional use of Allah for G-d and its apparent homage to the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas' 77th verse which reads "Split a piece of wood and I am there. Raise up the stone, an ye shall find me there."
In the final track, Aaron prayerfully bellows:
"In everywhere we look... Allah, Allah, Allah
In everyone we meeting... Allah, Allah, Allah
In every blade of grass... Allah, Allah, Allah"


2 comments:
what if i don't have your email?
DUDE! I can't stand that new mewithoutYou... and I really didn't like the brother, sister record either. However, I feel the A-->B Life and Catch For Us The Foxes were both such wonderful records. I boldly believe Aaron should stick to what he knows well...and thats his emotional yelling and wailing and poignant spoken word. Just totally agreeing to disagree with you here brotha.
Post a Comment