Friday, April 03, 2009

Iowa Legalizes Gay Marriage!

Wow, I can't believe that Iowa of all places would become the third US state to legalize gay marriage. Its a step in the right direction for our nation, no doubt. Its frustrating that I live in a (so-called liberal) state and yet we have an amendment on our Constitution (similar to AZ and 21 other states) that limits marriage between a man and a woman. Its nice that our Governor signed a bill in to law that "provides several major rights to same-sex couples that were previously only given to married couples, including the ability to file jointly on insurance forms, hospital visitation rights, and rights relating to the deceased partner." Though I hope one day we can include our gay brothers and sisters in this wonderful, loving commitment called marriage. One day when Cash asks me where I stood on this issue, I can't wait that I'll be able to respond that I was on the side of love, equality, and compassion.

1 comment:

BJ said...

"Hey, is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."

-Field of Dreams