Monday, February 02, 2009

Depressed...


I'm just going to go ahead and say that this was the most depressing of all sports moments for me. More than losing in the 5th grade Phoenix, AZ Little League World Series preliminaries, more than not making the baseball team in 7th grade, more than my high school losing in the state championships because we missed a PAT, more than the Phoenix Suns losing to the Bulls in game 6... last night was the ultimate.

As a Cardinals fan my whole life (I remember being 6 when they came to Phoenix from St. Louis), this was my first time to root for my football team in the Super Bowl. It was an amazing feeling and I'll never forget going crazy when Fitz scored that long TD to go ahead with less than 3 minutes left. I'll also never forget the agony of Pitt driving down and scoring the winning TD.

I think it officiated was pretty poor and Pitt got a ton of calls to go their way (the no call of holding on the INT return, the double face mask, the roughing the passer call, and the no call of personal foul of Holmes using the ball in his celebration [which would have given the Cards an extra 15 yards on their last drive]). But all in all, it was a great game and our D just couldn't hold them in the end.

It was a season that surpassed everyone's expectations and I think the Cards handled themselves with class. I'm depressed, but proud.



PS: Did you hear about this very Tyler Durden moment during the Super Bowl broadcast in Tucson?

1 comment:

BJ said...

I feel the pain. The Rockies, like the Cardinals, went much further than analysts expected in 2007. I attended every playoff game at Coors Field. It was depressing to watch the Red Sox celebrate on the mound in Denver that cold cold October evening. The worse part is that expectations will be so high the next season. You will expect your team to make another super bowl run, no matter who gets resigned and what the analysts predict. Having the Rockies finish under 500 this past season was even more depressing than the World Series loss. No matter, keep the expectations high. The pain goes away and the memory of watching your favorite team in the post season remains.