There was some discussion and complaints of my top five in the comments, and I'd like to take a moment and discuss some of these.
Cass and Garret mentioned The Bends vs. Kid A. This one for me is a no brainier. Kid A has been way more influential in my own music making experience. We used to listen to this record none stop in the van and I think it had a substantial influence on us as a group. Kid A is such a well put together record, each song fitting in the right place. It is like a well timed movie, taking you on an emotional roller coaster, knowing when to add highs and lows to it.
Garret mentioned Freewheelin' vs. Times from Bob Dylan. At first glance, I thought for sure that Freewheelin' was going to be my favorite Dylan record, but after really thinking about it, I decided on Times. Not taking anything away from Freewheelin', but I just felt like certain songs on Times had such a stronger impact on me. The Ballad of Hollis Brown and North Country Blues simply resonant so deep within me. I love this record.
I think that I have decided that Zep IV > over Zep II. With songs like When the Levee Breaks and Going to California, this record takes the cake for Zep.
Regarding not having the Black Album... I know, I know, I am giving up on my heritage. But I think when it comes down to it, I always liked Master of Puppets better. I listened to it more, it had more of an impact on my musical taste, and it is a far superior record overall. I'm sorry if you think I am lame, but I stand by this choice.
OK, narrowing down soon. Stay tuned.
Novel 4!
-
Desert Divide is live and out in the world! What a great week it has been.
The book was published Monday. Since, I’ve confirmed one book signing in
August,...
4 years ago


1 comment:
Master of Puppets is a great album, no doubt. My beef wasn't with the fact that you didn't list the black album (ok, it kind of was) but that Metallica didn't even make the first cut for Top 5 consideration...that's BS and you know it. Without Metallica in your life you would be an entirely different person today. ENTIRELY. The Nole that we all know and love would not exist. Imagine being at music days at HHS during lunch and not headbanging and moshing around and making an ass out of yourself. Your entire reality changes...
Post a Comment