Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Wednesday Morning Watch/Read/Listen

Merry Christmas all. Hope you had a relaxing time with family and friends.


Watch: "I am Legend" On Christmas day my brother in law suggested that we would go and see I Am Legend. I hadn't even seen a preview for this movie and I don't particularly love Will Smith, so I wasn't really too excited to see this movie. I kinda was dreading seeing the movie and even told Carrie to wake me when it was over. I guess what I am saying is: I had no expectations to like this movie at all. Boy, was I surprised. Not only did Smith deliver (the first hour is some really, really good acting), but the movie overall was great. Not only was the action scenes really good, but it also had a pretty intensely thought provoking message. Now, (a large) part of what made this movie so great for me was the fact that I had little expectations for it nor any foreknowledge of what it was even about. So, I wont build it up or tell you the premise of the movie: just take my word for it and go see it.




Read: Church Palahniuk "Rant" OK, so I have been a huge fan of Palaniuk ever since I first saw Fight Club. I have read every single on of his books (Survivor being the best novel, A Walk in Portland his best non-fiction) and really liked most of them. He has this way of putting in such amazing nuggets of truth while still staying true to the story ("You are not your khakis") . However, I really feel like his novels continue to get more and more obscene and over the top., which annoys me. I'm not sure if he is simply trying to top himself or what, but it pisses me off. "Haunted" (his newest book besides "Rant") was good, but I couldn't get past how over the top parts were. So far, "Rant" has not been a shock-fest (though there have been shocking stuff, no doubt) and the story is really good. It is written in an oral history format, which means that all the characters tell what they remember about a subject or situation. With no need for transitions, it makes for a very fast and interesting read.




Listen: Regina Spektor "Begin to Hope" I have no clue where this came from or who recommended me this record, but I am glad I stumbled upon it. It is so smart and funny and catchy. Her voice is so soothing and coupled with her well written music (and infectious beats), it makes for a great listen. She also adds great little sing-song type melodies humming along with the music. Highly recommended.

***Edit: Just remembered, I heard about her on NPR. God bless public radio.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just downloaded the Regina Spector album 5 days ago after hearing her in a movie preview when I saw Charlie Wilson's War. I don't remember the preview but I heard the song leaned over to Sam and asked him who it was, he said Regina Spector and I downloaded it that night. Good stuff.

Adam W said...

I heard from a lot of people this weekend, many of whom i would consider less critically-minded as you (that's a good thing), and they all said they hated I Am Legend.

Weird.

Lewis Cash said...

Adam, I don't really know if I am just a loser who liked an awful movie, or if your friends are just stupid. All I can say is, this was a really (surprisingly) good movie. There is a large chance that I like it so much because I had no expectations for it what so ever, but I don't know.