10. Red hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" This record was life changing in high school. I didn't get into it right away, but it grew on me the more and more I listened to it. Although I play a totally different style of drums than Chad Smith, this album really helped shaped my appreciation for tight, hugely groove oriented beats. There are no "filler" songs and even the deep cuts could be singles.
9. U2 "Joshua Tree" Truly a master piece. From the opening note of "Where the Streets Have No Name" until the emotional ending of the "Mothers of the Disappeared" this record shines. An inspiration musically to me because of U2's simple, yet so complex way of song writing. They have a great way to be so emotional in a pop song.
8. Jeff Buckley "Grace" This is another record I didn't get into until very late; but it moved up as a favorite from the very first listen through. The vocals are unreal on this record, but I feel like the music aspect of the this record get overlooked way too much. The musicality of this record is rivaled by few.
7. At The Drive-In "Relationship Command" This record had the third most direct musical impact of all the records in my life. I remember buying it with Nate at Best Buy and listening to it in the parking lot. The jungle beat building from the opening song, Arcarsenal, made my heart rate spike. As we listened through the track, I could help but become giddy. When the track came to an end, Nate looked at me and basically told me that was awful. Meanwhile, I felt as thought I had finally found the type music that I wanted to play, experimental, unconventional, and beautiful.
6. Bob Dylan "Times They Are A-changing" I got three Dylan records when I went through my hippie phase when I was hanging out and jamming with Mortemore. This one, Freewheelin, and Another Side of Bob Dylan. Instantly I loved them. I remember singing The Ballad of Hollis Brown at the top of my lungs over and over again. I loved his raw emotion.Here we go:
5. The Beatles "Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" My love for the Beatles started in my hippie phase in high school and never stopped. Obviously this band has had an enormous impact on the musical, political, and culture spectrum throughout the world. I loved the concept album and the characters that were created for this record. The songs are so singable, so groundbreaking, so enchanting. I love this record.
4. Mars Volta "De-Loused in the Comatorium" I have never done drugs, but the first time I listened to this record I felt like I was on mushrooms. I was lying in bed with huge headphones on and literally was stunned. I couldn't wrap my head around what I was hearing. It was like they took all the things I love in music and put it all together on one record. Truly remarkable and amazing. (Number 2 most musically influential record for me).
3. Johnny Cash "Ameriacn IV: When the Man Comes Around" Here is another artist that I didn't get into right away, but the more I listened to became more and more in love with. Cash and producer Rubin created such an amazing record by covering amazing songs but with Cash's flair. But what made this record stand out so much, was how Cash took songs that no one could have expected ("Personal Jesus," "Hurt," "We'll Meet Again") and made them his own. Each and every song on this record drips with emotion. Johnny used is ailing health create a somber, almost ominous feel on each track. Truly a masterful piece of art.
2. Rage Against the Machine "Rage Against the Machine" What can you say about this record? It was (and still is) such an earth shattering record. The lyrics, the guitar work, the rhythm section, and the vocals were so originally created, it is remarkable. This record is laden with tracks that move you, both physically (you can't help but rock you head) and emotionally (I think that Rage had a lot to do with me becoming politically conscious/active).
1. Led Zeppelin- "IV" This is the number one record of all time... there can be no arguing. This band has shaped more people (myself included) than any other. Every single song on this record is a masterpiece. The opening noises into the remarkable voice entrance of "Black Dog" ropes you in and the band doesn't let go until the last echoing kick drum of "When the Levee Breaks." It is amazing that this record contains classic rock and roll songs (Rock and Roll), beautifully created acoustic songs (Battle of Evermore and Going to California), experimental songs (Four Sticks and When the Levee Breaks), and epic anthems (Stairway to Heaven) and yet is able to keep it as a cohesive whole. From Plant's spectacular pipes, to Page's ripping solos, Bonzo's amazingly thick beats, and JPJ's grooves this is their magnum opus.


5 comments:
Lewis,
When i saw Jonny Cash on there I felt like that part in High Fidelity when they are doing the "top 5 songs about death a Laura's dad Tribute list." and Dick says a song and and Barry responds "THAT IS SO GOOD IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE!" Cause i can not believe that that album didn't even make my considerations... I was idiotic. Well in a year when i have the energy i will start again.
I still think that Freewheelin is a better album ... but at that point it is like saying... "I think that van goh's starry night is a better painting than his sunflowers, the argument just doesn't get vary far...
I love the list because there are some risky choices on there... the rage album was out of left field. My brother and i have always said that if rage lead a revolution we would join... they could say "kick that down's syndrome kid in the stomach" and we would do it (my other brother has Down's so everyone back off).
I am glad to see buckley on their, and joshua tree would be on many people's top five... solid list...
I will restate that zeppelin is not in my musical history therefore not really considered but i can understand the decision... because as i have asked this question a few times now. zeppelin seems to be on 30 percent of peoples lists.
solid and well played.
Last time i'll say it, you need a Metallica album here. Trust me. You do. Alright, i'm done. I won't mention it again.
Your list is immaculate, i hope you know that. I'm so glad you included Blood Sugar Sex Magic and i'm really ecstatic that you included De-Loused...i always forget that album and it's completely fucking prolific. It may be one of the most underrated things (above and beyond albums) of our time...i mean, it's mind-blowing but becasue of all the media fragmentation, it gets no credit. It is better than TV, Movies, books, sex, everything. It's a terrific album.
Aside from what i mentioned first, i really can't disagree with anything on this list. Having witnessed your musical progression first hand, i can absolutely say that every single on of these albums affected the musician you grew up to be(and still ARE, lest we forget). You can hear them in the early Cascara stuff and you can definitely hear them in the Stiletto stuff. I introduced a friend to Masochism in the Place of Romance tonight and i hope you're proud of that creation. That album is fucking epic, no joke. I love every second of it. It is better than 98% of the music i've ever heard, i shit you not.
There's a chance that i'm going to attend my first post-noleandshelly Stiletto show tomorrow night. They're playing with Lydia at the Clubhouse and i really want to see both of them and see how it looks. It will suck without the 2 of you, but i'm feeling masochistic.
Love you buddy. Great list.
I am in full support of Arcarsenal and the entire Relationship of Command. Glad to see that in the top 10!!
Yeah man...I will toast you at the rise up xmas party tonight for a list well done!
I think that we will have a lot of crossover in our lists- I am excited about my upcoming list....in fact, Christmas morning when I am flying to LA- I will make the first list.
Hey this was pretty cool. The Edge played the best 103 albums all the way through this weekend in Phx. Here;s their list:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=24317960&blogID=343661696
Post a Comment