
Carrie and I are getting our Master's degree in "Curriculum and Instruction With an Emphasis on Teaching Through the Arts" through Lesley University. It is a really cool degree, because we are learning how to teach students using creative arts such as poetry, movement, visual arts, drama, storytelling, etc. While going to class for 25 hours in three days one weekend a month isn't awesome, at least we are doing fun, creative stuff while we are there.
This month's class is poetry, something that I have loved for years, but don't spend much time thinking about, reading, or writing. The class has made me think about my relationship with poetry and the impact it has had on me in my life. In thinking about it, I remembered how much I loved Shel Silverstein. His books A Light in the Attic, The Giving Tree, and Where the Sidewalk End had such a huge impact on me in elementary and middle school. I did a wiki search on him to find out a little about his life, and stumbled upon this amazing fact: Shel wrote the lyrics and the music to the Johnny Cash classic "A Boy Named Sue." What a bamf.
Anyways, I leave you with a list poem that we were to write in class. We were instructed to write a poem that simply listed things, and we were allowed to work in partners. I picked the best partner of all, my lovely wife, and we came up with this:
Things That Turn Green
A three-week-old loaf of bread
Blonde hair in a pool too long
An egg on Easter
A lawn in the spring
A conservative that watched An Inconvenient Truth
Someone without sea legs
An envious person
Bruce Banner before becoming the Hulk
A wallet on payday
A football player’s pants
A finger with a cheap ring on it
Yellow and blue


No comments:
Post a Comment