
OK, so Garret has spurred this conversation up about the top 5 albums of all time. I know that we will have many different feelings about each other's list (and I welcome your thoughts and/or criticism of my list), so this should be fun.
First we need to come up with some solid criteria for coming up with this list. Here is the ground rules that Garret set up:
- The albums are full length efforts... not live albums and not best of hits.
- The albums are based on three things weighed equally:
1) Personal Significance (i.e can you sing the whole album all the way through)
2) Musical History Impact (thus why the beatles are at least considered or put on everyone of our listst)
3) Personal Musical writing impact (we were all and still are musicians, playing music locally)
So I present to you my rough draft of my top 5 albums of all time. This list is a work in progress and is not the end all to be all. I will not be ranking these yet, rather I am just brainstorming some records to be considered.
Led Zeppelin- IV (it used to be II, but IV has moved up as my favorite Zep record)
At the Drive-In- Relationship Command
Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's
Bob Dylan- Times They Are A-changing
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young- Deja Vu
Jeff Buckley- Grace
Johnny Cash- IV: The Man Comes Around
Mars Volta- De-Loused in the Comatorium
mewithoutYou- Brother, Sister
Niel Young- After the Gold Rush
Oasis- (What's the Story) Morning Glory
Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine
U2- Joshua Tree
Radiohead- Kid A
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced?
Smashing Pumpkins- Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik
Albums that are way good, but I know will not make my top 5 list:
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Pink Flyod- Dark Side of the Moon
Ryan Adams- Love is Hell pt. 1
Weezer- Blue Album
Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill
Pearl Jam- Ten
Cold War Kids- Robbers and Cowards(I know; they're a new band, but omg this record is good)
King Crimson- Discipline
OK, that's it for now. Again, I would love to hear your thoughts, as well as albums you thought I left out or forgot about.
***Also, I didn't a quick google image search of "top 5 lists" to see if they had a cool pic I could add to this post. I saw this on the third page and laughed my ass off. Don't worry, if your at you can click the link, its not something bad.


6 comments:
I think Radiohead the Bends versus Kid A. I also think Sublime 40 oz because it has 2/3 criteria for me.
Cassie
things that i am glad to see on your list...
- oasis (my wife would have it on her list)
- Johnny Cash IV (that should have been on my considerations for shere musical impact alone... but alas i over looked it)
- Jeff Buckley
I meant to respond to your comment earlier but this will do for now.
Re: Zeppelin... it is true that i appreciate The Zep... but it just wasn't part of my musical history. My parents weren't that into it, and i didn't start listening to them till 3 years ago... and it was a "greatest hits" so it was hard to gauge and i don't even have in my posession a full length album of theirs so... i guess i missed zep's zeppelin.
Re Kid vs. Bends: I would agree that Kid A is a superior album pretty much all around (it is their "starry night"). It is more coherent all the way through (The bend's is fairly confused as it is not quite sure what it wants to be... pop? prog? or what), it is more musically adventuress, the songs are structured much better, and it is more "radiohead" (by that I mean it more what they want to be ... it is more mature). But it is because of it's confusion that i love it. It is like watching a kid that you know is going to kick ass at soccer early in his career: he isn't going to be great all the time but that is what makes those moments where he is amazing that much more brilliant. I like the roughness of it, oh and i love singing along to High and Dry, and fake plastic trees.
Oh... what about Freewhellin? Bob Dylan...
Adam sure knows how to make use of Google searches. I should start taking notes...
First, i had to check out the free porn and the phone vixen girl before i even noticed myself on that page...i should be higher up than page 3. I'm writing Google a strongly worded letter.
Led Zep II vs Led Zep IV is a damn tough argument and not one i'm sure i can solve either. Good luck with that.
My main concern with your list -- and seeing as though it is the basis for our ENTIRE friendship -- how can you not even mention Metallica Black album...i mean, you and i stayed up until like 4 a.m. at freshman camp talking about Lars' drumming (he later turned out to not be that great and a complete douche but that's erroneous in this discussion). We didn't even like each other until we found out that we both liked Metallica.
And if my friendship isn't enough to put it in your top 5, think back to when you were 14 and just becoming a decent drummer who wanted to be in a rock band and tell me that Metallica doesn't satisfy every single one of those criterium. Personal significance - check, Musical History impact - check (it was in the top 100 of album sales for like 12 years after it came out. can't argue with that..), Personal Musical Writing Impact, MAJOR CHECK.
You can go all snobby and be all like "Oh Radiohead blah blah. Thom's incessant wailing really impacted my life, yadda yadda..." but come on...when it mattered, who was there for us? Metallica...and i think deep down, you know it.
Hey, do you know Dustin Tramel? It would be a totally small world if you do. He's on the blog roll, but it could be just that you like his thoughts...
I completely agree with adam....how can you turn your back on lars and the boys?
Post a Comment