So, when we have time off, we always end up watching like ten billion rental movies. Its great. Without further ado, here are the movies we rented and my thoughts on them. (Keep in mind the wife and I don't generally have the exact same taste in movies, so some of these are compromise movies and some of these I watched on my own. I'm pretty sure you can figure out which is which.)
License to Wed: Ugh, this movie was not really good. I wanted to like it because Jim from The Office was in it, but it truly wasn't that funny. I was really annoyed with Robin Williams character (why is a priest simply being an a-hole?) and the story really just reminded me of a dumb version of Meet the Parents (but instead of parents, its the priest). There were really awkward moments that weren't funny. The movies saving grace... Jim's awesome questioning and suprised face that he is famous for in The Office. 3.5/10
Lucky You: This was one of those movies that I thought Carrie and I would really enjoy together because its about poker while being a romantic comedy. Great date movie, right? Ah, not exactly. First off, the story just sucked. Its about a degenerate gambler (not a poker player) who somehow convinces what seems to be a very smart young lady to fall for him. It throws in cameos from professional poker players (which I thought would be cool, but was really just annoying). The movie just sucked overall, I really don't know what else to say. 1/10
Fracture: Anthony Hopkins is one of the best actors of all time. For serious. And he doesn't disappoint in this court-room thriller. The thing I really enjoyed about this movie was the fact that it didn't resort to senseless action and cliff hangers like most court room dramas. Instead, it relies on a while written story and suburb acting. If you don't like slower paced movies, then don't bother, because it is very slow moving; however, that is allows the plot and characters plenty of room to shine. While the ending is a little predictable, it is still a fantastic film. 7.5/10
Reign Over Me: I knew that I wanted to see this from the previews, and I was not disappointed. The movie centered on a rekindled friendship between a troubled man (Adam Sandler), who lost his family on 9/11, and a dentist/family man (Don Cheadle) who is struggling to keep his life together. The movie had a great ability to make you laugh in one scene and have you crying just one scene later. I loved the theme of friendship and loyalty that was created; and the side story of Cheadle's character struggling to keep his marriage alive. Overall a powerful film. 8.5/10
Lucky # Slevin: I've been wanting to rent this movie for like two years and finally I did. While it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be, overall I liked it. It paid obvious (almost annoyingly) tribute to Tarantino but was not as good as his movies. The actors were great, especially Morgan Freedman as The Boss. The plot was pretty juicy, and I could never have guessed the big ending (though, overall, the ending was sorta annoying). This is a mob movie at heart, and every time someone opens a door, you are just waiting for him to get slammed in the face or shot in the dome. A fun movie overall. 7/10
Paris, Je T'aime (Paris, I Love You): A moving, funny, sad, and sometimes random film that centers on the beautiful city of Paris and the lovers that dwell there. The movie is actually 18 short movies that were written and directed by 18 different people from all over the world. Each story shows a different area of Paris as well as a different story of love. The extraordinary part of the film is that it portrays true love as it really is: sometimes honest, messy, heartbreaking, funny, weird, random, and surprising. 8.5/10


2 comments:
License to Wed was pitiful but all the people from the Office made it bearable...especially Angela and Kevin. Also, Mandy Moore is in my top 3 of female actors who i think are actually like the characters they play in real life along with Jeniffer Aniston and Jenna Fischer.
I didn't like License to Wed either. It wasn't really a shock, though, considering I can only name one romantic comedy I actually like and I don't even think it counts because it stars Jenny McCarthy... Anyway, I saw it in the theater and I remember thinking that that movie only had a few good jokes, and I forgot them as soon as I got into my car. Meh.
I liked Lucky Number Slevin a lot, but the ending made me wanna puke in my shoes.
That is all.
Post a Comment