Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cali Fires



I am confident that everyone reading this has heard about the California fires that are ragging out of control. It is truly sobering watching the footage on TV. I literally cried this morning on the way to working listening to a story on NPR (the most depressing news outlet in the world). They were interviewing a single father of six year old twins. Apparently, their entire apartment building burned to the ground with everything in it. The fire came so fast, that they didn't have time to get anything out. The immediately ran for their car and fled, leaving all their pets and belongings behind. Ugh.

Anyways, the news keeps reporting about how President Bush is going to send in federal aid and all this. I was thinking about it this morning and couldn't help but second guess G.W. I mean, he and the rest of his goons completely f-ed up the Katrina bit. I want to believe that this is him learning from his mistakes, but I can't seem to shake the idea that because it is threatening celebrities (L.T., Mel Gibson, and others had to leave their homes) he is spurring into action. Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to make light of this situation...no wait, i am. Because i'm a dick, mostly.
1. Of all the shitty things that L.T. has done to my fantasy team this year, this is probably the worst. Now all i'll hear all week is how he'll be distracted and worried about his house when what i really need to know is how he stacks up against the Texans this weekend. Hopefully it'll burn down and he'll take his anger out on their defense.
2. George Bush hates black people, some celebrities and professional atheletes involved here are black. Is that a conflict of interest? I say yes.
3. I couldn't really blame George or humans in general for Katrina, the actual storm (I definitely blame them for the response)...it's a fucking hurricane, nobody had anything to do with how powerful it was, where it hit, etc. It was just shitty luck. But this? I kinda blame humans for it. Maybe humans started it, i don't know, but more so than that, these rich people build their houses in these one-road accesible mountainous ravines where houses shouldn't be and firefighters can't get to and then when fire comes raging up the steep hillside, they go "Oh please help me, my Land Rover!" Fuck them.
Now, i know all of the people being affected don't fit under this category but that hurts my argument, so i'm going to ignore it mostly. Bottom line, i think humans, with our reservoirs and our dams and our nice lush green front yards and our irrigation and our waste totally contribute to drought, dryness and the fire hazards that lead to "natural" disasters like this. Now this is mother nature's way of saying, give me my f--ing water back.
I will now start printing bumper stickers that say "Rebuild LA, not L.A." Genius right? You heard it here first. Don't steal it.