Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In Case You Missed It!

I meant to make this a regular thing at my blog, but I have only posted one so far, and that was a while ago. Whatever. Here is my second installment of In Case You Missed It!, this time featuring a book (2001) and a movie (2003).


Dennis LeHane (who I've written about before) had written five books prior to penning Mystic River. Each of his previous books featured the private investigating duo of Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro (one of which was made into a movie). However, with Mystic River, LeHane leaves the duo in favor of three new characters. Together, as young boys, they encounter a life altering experience; however, one of the three experiences this encounter on a much deeper level. This incident plays out later in life, when these three characters are suddenly and unexpectedly brought back into each others lives. The story is a moving character piece that will stick with (read: haunt) you well after you've finished the book.




The movie adaptation is truly remarkable. Directed by the awesome Clint Eastwood and featuring amazing performances from Sean Penn and Tim Robbins, the movie is well worth your time. I can't think of a time where I liked the movie better than the book, and this is no exception, but it is close. The moving captures the character of Boston (yes, you read that right, the setting actually becomes a character) and its people so well.

I remember being in my first year of college when I first saw this movie. I had a little crush on a girl (who turned out to be lame) and I was hanging out with her and three of her friends. It was late on a Friday night and they wanted to see a movie. When we arrived at the cinema, they suggested seeing Scary Movie 3. I didn't care how strong my crush was, there was no way I going to see that movie, and I wasn't shy about telling them that. I suggested Mystic River (or else I was going home) and they reluctantly agreed to see it. The first 20 minutes was captivating and I remember leaning over to see how these 4 girls liked it and all four of them were sleeping! (So lame. It was then that my crush wore off). I, on the other hand, was enthralled by the film, and was on the edge of my seat throughout.

Two great pieces of art, well worth your time.

No comments: