Google the words "redistibution of wealth" and you'll get over 1.8 million results. Add the word "communism" to that phrase and you'll get over 2 million results. Talk about spreading fear. Again we are seeing scare tactics being employeed to scare people from voting for Obama.
I'd like to address a few catch phrases that both candidates are using (or haved used) to encourage people to vote for them. I'd like to address these phrases through the lens of someone who follows after the teachings of Christ.
Redistibituion of Wealth: This is a phrase that McCain continues to sling around. He is trying to link Obama to socialism. I have a major issue with McCain using this as a smear, being as the redistibition of wealth is actually Biblical idea. Many of you reading this are no doubt saying, "But I work hard for my money. Why should I have to give it away?" And my response: Take that up with G-d. As followeres of Jesus, we should know that the love of money is root of all kinds of evil and Jesus repeatedly tells us to not care about money. If you are angry while reading this, maybe this passage will be a sober reminder of what Jesus teaches when it comes to money.
Country First: This is another one of McCain's campaign slogans that I (and all other Christians) should have a problem with. As a follower of Christ, I know that I can't put anything about my relationship with Him. This includes my patritism for America. The thought of putting counrty first is, frankly, laughable.
America is the World's Last, Best Hope: Here is one that Obama used to use a lot (I haven't heard it much recently). Similar to the Counrty First slogan his oppenant uses, this implies that somehow the US is more important than anything. And I'm sorry, but that is just not true. Our hope is not in a counrty, no matter how great we think we are. To imply that America is going to be what saves this world from the dangerous path it is on is also laughable. As Jesus says, the two most important things involve love. He never talked about a man-made counrty being the thing that saves people.
Novel 4!
-
Desert Divide is live and out in the world! What a great week it has been.
The book was published Monday. Since, I’ve confirmed one book signing in
August,...
4 years ago


2 comments:
i liked this post... a breath of fresh air in all the political blogs i have been reading lately.
p.s. i thought you might think this is interesting:
http://churchandpomo.typepad.com/conversation/2008/05/zizek-and-the-d.html
Post a Comment